Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
If You Have Difficulty Connecting Your Binding >

If You Have Difficulty Connecting Your Binding

If You Have Difficulty Connecting Your Binding

Old 07-21-2014, 02:31 PM

Default If You Have Difficulty Connecting Your Binding

I watched "Sew it All" this weekend on PBS and she showed a way of binding that I didn't know about. I wish I could find a video but I did find the episode:

http://www.sewitalltv.com/episodes/s...isode_706.html

Basically you prep the end before you start by folding it over 1/2", and instead of sewing the ends together - after you've attached the binding all the way around - and hoping you get the length right, you just tuck the folded end inside. It didn't even look like she sewed that seam together.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:34 AM

Very simple thanks I always have difficulty with the ends.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:55 AM

I press the starting end of my binding fabric to a 45 degree angle. When I get around to the other end, I overlap the end, mark/cut it the width of the binding strip past the beginning (usually use 2-1/2"), glue baste the edge of the folded one onto the other one, open and sew on the fold. Comes out perfect every time no gadgets or fussing with it at all.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I press the starting end of my binding fabric to a 45 degree angle. When I get around to the other end, I overlap the end, mark/cut it the width of the binding strip past the beginning (usually use 2-1/2"), glue baste the edge of the folded one onto the other one, open and sew on the fold. Comes out perfect every time no gadgets or fussing with it at all.
Brilliant! Definitely going to try this. Thanks very much.o
Old 07-22-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I do this way too, except I don't use glue. I think l saw Jenny (MSQC) tutorial for this method. The ends are sewn together and look flat. Perfect!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 PM

Do you remember the name of the video? I usually just sew the pieces together at an angle after figuring out how much of the fabric to cut off. It works, but the Sew It All show method looks super easy.

Originally Posted by GranJanNM View Post
I do this way too, except I don't use glue. I think l saw Jenny (MSQC) tutorial for this method. The ends are sewn together and look flat. Perfect!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:10 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vCWpxBRs20
Old 07-23-2014, 05:40 AM

As I'm fond of using Elmer's Glue in my quilt making process, I add my binding dabbing a smidge at the edge all around the entire quilt at the ironing board. When I come to the two ends, I miter fold one end, slip the other end inside, dab a little glue to hold them together, go to the sewing machine, sew them together and then back to the ironing board to make sure it fits, trim the excess and then finish dabbing my glue to the edges before taking it back to the sewing machine to stitch it all together at one time. I have no problems at my mitered corners either. I hate having to pin my binding onto the quilt as I tend to get pricked every time. I'm clumsy and by this time the quilt is cumbersome due to its size so I need all the help I can get.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:59 AM

Thanks, this is the way I've always done it, but it can be hard getting that in the sewing machine. I always sew the wrong way, seam rip then do it the right way. LOL, that's my M.O. for many things I do. I'll sew from the wrong corner or right sides together.

I may try the way I saw on the show. You just tuck one end inside the other and keep on sewing around.

Originally Posted by GranJanNM View Post
Old 07-23-2014, 03:00 PM

Craftnut sent me a link to her blog that has many helpful tutorials on it. I love the tip about cutting the binding at 45 degree, it will make it so easy to sew it in the right direction.

She has some other tutorials there I'm definitely going to check out!

http://frommycarolinahome.wordpress....ders-tutorial/