Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SO FRUSTRATED:  Dye Lot Lesson >

SO FRUSTRATED: Dye Lot Lesson

SO FRUSTRATED: Dye Lot Lesson

Old 07-24-2014, 08:15 AM

Default SO FRUSTRATED: Dye Lot Lesson

One of my favorite fabrics comes from a wide backing. It ends up being very economical since it's 108" wide. I have it in black, red, and my favorite, a color that I think of as khaki but is probably ecru. Darker than cream, lighter than tan, not even what I would call beige since it has a green undertone to it. I have three large projects going where I am using the ecru color as a consistent background.

I knew I'd need more yardage so I bought two more lengths of it. The package arrived, then sat for a while because I was working on other projects. A couple days ago I finally opened the box and OH NO the color is NOT a match -- the new fabric is two or three shades darker and, to my mind, is quite noticeable. My husband says it will "blend" but I didn't want it to blend, I wanted it to MATCH!

There is nothing actually "wrong" with the fabric. I compared the documentation on this order versus the previous orders and the item numbers are the same, the SKU's are the same. Obviously the company that manufactured the fabric (Benartex) has changed their dye lot slightly. Wouldn't matter a bit if I was using the fabric as a backing, but it does make a difference when using it on the front of the quilt!

After stewing and dithering back and forth for a couple of days, I have decided to take all of the projects apart and cannibalize the parts to go into the project that I have the most interest in finishing. All 3 projects use components that are the same size, so the only thing wasted will be the thread I used in piecing and a lot of sewing time! By taking them all apart I can scatter the lighter fabric in with the darker fabric and hopefully avoid the "oh look, she ran out of fabric" effect.

The main lesson I've learned: when I'm working with a consistent background (or any consistent fabric, for that matter) finish it up instead of letting it drag on and on and on ...
Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I'm a big fan of the ran out of fabric look as I seem to have that look a lot. LOL I'm sorry you learned the lesson the hard way. I learned about dye lots when I use to crochet. Always buy the same dye lot so the yarn will match and that has carried over to my fabric buying.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

Even the Red Heart yarn that is "supposed" to have no dye lots - DOES!

I have also learned that lesson. I have also learned to bring a swatch with me while shopping. I wonder if it would have helped (for next time) to send a color swatch to the place one is ordering from.

I have even had Kona cottons not match - when the name of the color is the same - but the look of the color is different!

I agree that the "solution" is to scatter the two colors more or less evenly though a piece, and then it looks more or less planned - instead of the "oops" look.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 AM
Power Poster

Bummer! I totally understand your frustration! Unless fabric is cut from the same bolt, there might be colour differences.
Try to find colours to match with older stash fabrics. It seems each year they change both the shades(black added) or tints(white added) to every single fabric line. I looked high and low for a very dark blue and finally had to settle for cotton broadcloth to border a quilt.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:44 PM

Oh my goodness gracious, that's so disappointing. I feel bad for you having to un-do and re-do. That's certainly not the fun part of quilting!
Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Thanks for understanding my frustration. I think it takes another quilter to understand! I feel better now.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:56 PM

Really feel your pain. Like OnebyOne, I achieve that look a lot. When I make a scrappy quilt I always use a lot of different fabrics so the amount of each fabric doesn't matter, the problem happens when I make a quilt with 3 to 5 fabrics.
Old 07-25-2014, 04:09 AM

Using on the back? Why fret?
sandy
Old 07-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
Using on the back? Why fret?
sandy
I think she said "background" -not "back"
Old 07-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Yes, I too can feel your pain and frustration and determination. I have a top that has sat idle for a couple of years because I could not decide on a colour for the sashing. Well, that decision has been made but I still need to make the big center Lonestar-type block and I KNOW I will not have enough background fabric for those corners and triangles. I am waiting for inspiration to strike. Why oh why did I figure the amounts needed so closely?? Why did I not foresee a change in my design plan?? Why do I keep doing this to myself??