Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ordered Kona Cotton - order split - will there be dye lot issue? >

Ordered Kona Cotton - order split - will there be dye lot issue?

Ordered Kona Cotton - order split - will there be dye lot issue?

Old 05-27-2015, 04:20 PM

Default Ordered Kona Cotton - order split - will there be dye lot issue?

I ordered 2 yards of Kona navy from Jo-Ann's for piping and binding a quilt. I need to use the piping now since it's on an inside border. Today I received 1.7 yards and was charged for one yard. Although I appreciate the "free" fabric, they don't mention I will get another shipment. Their customer service is closed until tomorrow. Questions I hope you can help with:
  • If i order more or they ship more, will there be a dye lot problem? Should I wait until I get the whole 2 yards?
  • What is your experience with Joann's policy when the don't have enough fabric in stock if they normally carry it?
Old 05-27-2015, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

I would be leery of 2 separate cuts from JoAnn's. I think their "Kona" is a generic term, not genuine Robert Kaufman Kona.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

There might be a dye lot difference.

If it is advertised as Kona, it should be Kona.
Old 05-27-2015, 04:54 PM

Better safe than sorry, I would wait to use it. However, I have ordered lots of Kona solids from fabric.com and never had dye lot issues. But if it is an important quilt and you can wait, I probably would until you get all you need to be sure there is not a big variance.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:46 PM

There is a difference as Robert Kauffman Co has made clear a few times. Robert Kauffman Kona Solids have been made for many years and follow very exacting production standards. You can tell they are Robert Kauffman because between the words "Kona" and "Cotton" there is a small circle with a capital R in it. Robert Kauffman does not sell this line to big box stores. Not saying the other lines aren't good material just clarifying that all material bolts that say Kona Cotton are not produced by the Kauffman Co., and they do say there is a difference in the quality of their material because of their production methods and standards.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:34 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...-t33854-3.html
Actually, the Kauffman company replied on this site some time ago that they only make one quality of Kona, which is the same no matter where you buy it. The link will take you to someone's copy of that original post. Your LQS has every reason to tell you that their Kona is better than Joanns and therefore more expensive.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:32 AM

Why on earth would they send you just 85% of what you ordered without contacting you for approval beforehand? I'd be very leery indeed and would return it ASAP. There's no way the missing 11 inches is a miscut. You were intentionally shorted and that's just plain wrong. Did you perhaps check a box on the order form to indicate that you would accept 'all you have' in case they didn't have the full order amount?
Old 05-28-2015, 07:38 PM

Update - I was able to call Joann's today and was told what they did was a mistake. They were very nice and credited back the yard they charged me for and told me to keep what they sent. Then because I wanted the full 2 yards I ordered it again at the sale price in effect when I originally ordered it and they will ship it free.

All is good.
Old 05-29-2015, 12:07 PM

Had a similar experience and I don't think you'll receive the other 1yd as I never have. They just gave you what was left on the bolt and I wasn't notified that I would or wouldn't receive the other 1 yd. Heck, they've never replied to my email at all. Don't know if I'll order more from them in the future.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Sheri.a View Post
Update - I was able to call Joann's today and was told what they did was a mistake. They were very nice and credited back the yard they charged me for and told me to keep what they sent. Then because I wanted the full 2 yards I ordered it again at the sale price in effect when I originally ordered it and they will ship it free.

All is good.
Kudos to JoAnn's! Great resolution. I'm happy it all worked out so well for you!