Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brother HE1 embroidery machine advice >

Brother HE1 embroidery machine advice

Brother HE1 embroidery machine advice

Old 07-25-2014, 10:28 AM

Default Brother HE1 embroidery machine advice

Thinking about buying a Brother HE1 embroidery machine for my granddaughter. If anyone is familiar with this machine, I would be interested in the pros and cons. Is it a good machine for a beginner?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:02 AM

I don't own one but I have owned/own Brother, Bernina and Babylock embroidery machines so I'm pretty familiar with the different makes and models.

Brother has a good reputation and this, to me, looks like a great machine for a beginner. It's a mid line machine and has computer capability, which is a big plus. It's also not pricey, the best price I found was $299 which is reasonable for this type of machine.

The only limitation is the hoop size capability, it is 4x4, so all designs must be within that size. Several years ago, I sold a used low end Brother embroidery machine to a coworker, for his daughter, that was limited to 4x4 and that was never an issue for her. She's still using it and it's still going strong.

I consider the fact that it is embroidery only to be a big plus as well. I've had combo machines, that sew and embroider, and I never sewed on them. I used them strictly for embroidery even though I had paid a premium price to have both functions. My embroidery machines now are strictly embroidery only.

I think this is a great machine for a beginner.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:00 AM

Thank you for your help. I think the hoop size will be fine since she is a beginner and will probably do towels, onesies, etc. I found it for $219, free shipping. It is factory refurbished so I called Brother and they said it is just like new. And the warranty is the same as a brand new one. It will come packed just like a new one. Only diff is the box will have a sticker that says factory refurbished. I am going to order it and give it to her for xmas. It is from overstock.com. They have several. An extended 3 year warranty is only $40 so I am going to add that. I am surprised that I can get an computerized embroidery machine for that price. It even has the auto threader!
Old 07-26-2014, 08:17 AM

Nothing wrong with a refurbished machine! My primary sewing machine is a Kenmore Elite. I bought it over 20 years ago, used, with full warranty (it was a return, the gal who bought it said it was "too complicated"). It's a computerized machine and still going strong. Embroidery only machines have become much more reasonably priced since the combo machines came out.

I have a "cheat sheet" that I give to people who buy embroidery machines from me or get a new machine. It explains stabilizers and talks about thread and websites for tutorials and purchasing good products at reasonable prices. I could send it to you if you'd like. Just send me a PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:45 AM

I had the Disney version of it and loved it. Traded up in very little time due to hoop sizes, but she will have lots of fun with it. Wouldn't hesitate at all, and will be a great bonding toy!