Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
photo images on fabric >

photo images on fabric

photo images on fabric

Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 AM

Default photo images on fabric

Has anyone tried this? Some of the memory quilts are so nice but probably just decorator items. I wonder how these images stand up to washing and wear if they are used a lot. And which is the best way? Printing directly on fabric or on a sheet, then ironing it onto the fabric? Thank you for your suggestions.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 AM

I've always used a product called 'Printed Treasures' by Milliken. I made a quilt 7 years ago for my DG's graduation and I know my DD washes it often. The pictures have held up very well. All I did was print from my home printer, let it set to dry for several minutes and then ironed the pictures with a pretty hot iron. The product is kinda pricy but I buy the large package with a 50% off coupon from my local box store.

Since making that quilt, I've gotten a new printer and am not sure if the ink will last as well. I saw where someone said that not all home printer inks will hold up to washing. So, I called HP, my printer company, to ask them about how permanent the ink I use will be. They said, it's not made to print on fabric..... blaa, blaa, blaa. So I don't know if they are just trying to protect themselves or if the ink now is different. I think I'll print off a picture and then wash it. I'm hoping it will still work as successfully as it did in the past.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:48 AM

I have printed text directly on fabric with excellent results. I have also printed photos on fabric and had the picture turn pink when washed. The only difference was that my HP printer had 2 black cartridges, a photo black and a black. I have to think that it had something to do with the photo black ink. I printed color pictures directly on fabric and they have held up very well. I have a new printer now with only 1 black ink cartridge. Maybe it's time to try again. I can tell you that when printing directly on fabric be sure to wash the fabric first and do not use any fabric softener.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:42 AM

I have seen the sheets one prints onto and then the photo is ironed onto fabric. I have June Tailor ink jet print on fabric sheets that are coarse and remain very "stiff" after printing and washing. Have had these sheets for some time and there may be something new on the market.

If you print onto fabric that is washed how do you stiffen it to go through the printer?
Old 07-31-2014, 03:38 PM

I made my DGD one using the bubble jet set on a high quality white muslin, has been washed numerous times and the prints still look good.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Fan View Post
I have seen the sheets one prints onto and then the photo is ironed onto fabric. I have June Tailor ink jet print on fabric sheets that are coarse and remain very "stiff" after printing and washing. Have had these sheets for some time and there may be something new on the market.

If you print onto fabric that is washed how do you stiffen it to go through the printer?
You iron the fabric to freezer paper and cut both to your printer size...usually 8.5 X 11...