Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Stocking up on fabric... and a photography tip >

Stocking up on fabric... and a photography tip

Stocking up on fabric... and a photography tip

Old 08-08-2014, 10:09 PM

Default Stocking up on fabric... and a photography tip

I am a beginning quilter with limited resources, so my stash is not very big (yet?). Looking at it lately, I especially figured that I was really missing solids! So I went (online) shopping and bought a bunch of coloured bed sheet fabrics . They turned out to actually be better quality than I expected, and only the top one's colour is not quite what the online picture suggested. Never mind! As my stash is almost entirely autumn coloured, so are my latest babies:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]486837[/ATTACH]

BTW: If anyone is interested, I'd like to share what I discovered when taking the picture of my new stash additions. I was not very pleased with the first few pics I took - both with and without flash, the colours just didn't look as in reality. However, when taking a closer look at the menu of my camera, I found a setting called "white balance". It was set on automatic, but playing around with it a little allowed me to take a picture that I would say brings out the colours pretty much as they look in reality! But maybe you're all experienced photographers and knew that long ago... I just discovered it today although I own this camera since a couple of years
Attached Thumbnails img_1329.jpg  
Old 08-08-2014, 10:37 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty colors. Good luck with them. BrendaK
Old 08-09-2014, 12:50 AM

I absoluteyl looove solids! Those are some great colours you got there! Have fun playin around with them!
Old 08-09-2014, 01:58 AM
Power Poster

nice stack of solids
Old 08-09-2014, 02:18 AM

well you are getting the hang of it...stash
Old 08-09-2014, 03:12 AM

These are beautiful. Where did you find them?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy View Post
These are beautiful. Where did you find them?
I live in China, so I bought them online on Taobao which is the Chinese Ebay equivalent and part of Alibaba - the world's biggest online shopping network (bigger than Amazon and Ebay combined!). Sorry, there won't be much use in sharing the link to the shop as Taobao is Chinese only and the shops won't ship abroad... I bought the fabric from a bedding shop as this is much cheaper for me to get cotton fabric than buying the imported quilting fabrics (also available on Taobao) that cost more than what one pays in the US! This is the first time for me to buy such fabric online. In the past, I went to the local bedding tailors and bought their scraps. However, they don't have nice solids where I live but only quite colourful and sometimes hilariously designed ones... (works fine to fuzzy cut, though!) So I'm very happy with the colours and the quality I got at a very reasonable price! (approximately 15 USD for the whole stash - 8 pieces @ 2.5m x 50cm)
Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Those really are pretty colors.
It's interesting to hear about your shopping limitations and solutions; it varies all over the world.

Have you googled "Amish quilt designs"? Lots of photos of quilts with solids.

Not a criticism of you, but a 'help' (hopefully!)....."fuzzy" is spelled F-U-S-S-Y cutting. (It actually means to be particularly precise or or overly detailed or exacting.)

Jan in VA
Old 08-09-2014, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Not a criticism of you, but a 'help' (hopefully!)....."fuzzy" is spelled F-U-S-S-Y cutting. (It actually means to be particularly precise or or overly detailed or exacting.) Jan in VA
Thanks for pointing that out! I'm not very familiar with quilting terms (but continually learning!), so I somehow must have picked up that one wrong! But even as a non-native English speaker, I do realise that there is quite a difference between "fuzzy" and "fussy"...
Old 08-09-2014, 04:14 AM

Nice picture and thanks for the hint about the white balance on the camera. I also realized even though I have been quilting for ages, I have no solids in my stash. I guess I need to collect some.