Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need your ideas on how to quilt this one >

Need your ideas on how to quilt this one

Need your ideas on how to quilt this one

Old 08-10-2014, 09:38 AM

Default Need your ideas on how to quilt this one

Normally I make charity quilts for Project Linus and simply do an all over FMQ of meandering or loopy loops on those quilts. I still consider myself just a notch above a beginner on FMQ with my longarm.

While recovering from knee surgery, I put together this quilt for my guest room. I also pieced three 18" pillows for that bed. The quilt is 84" X 100" and my largest project to ever make. I really want it to be special and have some sort of "design" that will make the stars really pop. I don't have any rulers or special things to use on the longarm.

If this was your quilt, how would you FMQ on the stars? How would you quilt on the other parts of the 16-patch block? What would you do in the teal borders? What would you do in the last border with the 2" blocks?

Keep in mind that my current skills only include meandering and doing loopy loops.

Thanks for your advice.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]487015[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]487016[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails photo-1.jpg   photo-2-1-.jpg  
Old 08-10-2014, 09:45 AM

It's very pretty!! If I were you, I would practice your skills on some scrap and try to put feathers in the teal border. The stars .. if the batting you chose would be OK I would just outline 1/4" inside the stars to make them pop. The background patches you can do any kind of filler - meandering.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:56 AM

My oh my that is a beautiful quilt! I would probably do some type of feathers in the teal (I wish I could do feathers). Then I would probably just stitch around the inside of the stars and straight-line quilt up along the rows of the 16-patch blocks.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 AM

I have no suggestions for quilting - i'm pretty much a straight line quilter myself on large projects - but i just want to say how beautiful your quilt is !!! Good luck with the quilting.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

Your top is so pretty. I am in the same boat as you. I can meander and do loops!
Old 08-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

That's a beautiful top! I might go over to Lori Kennedy's site and look through the Tuesday Tutorials to see if there are any design I could use. Her FMQ designs are very do-able at http://www.theinboxjaunt.com/
Old 08-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

I LOVE your quilt! How about stitching a 1/4" seam inside of the stars and cross-hatching on the squares. The teal border I'm not sure what to do.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:55 PM

It's a beautiful quilt. Based on what you indicate is your experience level, this is what I drew. In the star maybe softly outline and at every place you pause or change direction make a loop. This is easier than straight outline since it doesn't need perfect spacing. Loopy lines through the strong diagonals once again don't try for perfectly centered and straight. In the border echo your lines and make them ribbons floating around the stars. Practice on paper and then go for it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487087[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1stars.jpg  
Old 08-10-2014, 06:14 PM

I,m not an expert quilter either,but your quit is beautiful. Great job!!!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:31 PM

Sorry, I'm a hand quilter, so I can't help with ideas for FMQ. Just wanted to say that I very much like your quilt! What beautiful colours!