Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
1895 Willcox and Gibbs coffin top treadle >

1895 Willcox and Gibbs coffin top treadle

1895 Willcox and Gibbs coffin top treadle

Old 08-13-2014, 04:19 AM

Default 1895 Willcox and Gibbs coffin top treadle

Here are pics of my new 1895 Willcox and Gibbs Treadle w/3 drawer base, extension leaf and coffin top that I purchased from eBay for $200. I have been trying to find a base for the W&G that I already have. I've been looking for almost a year. It was a Buy It Now, local pickup, Louisville, KY. Not exactly local to Michigan. BUT, my DGS goes to college in Louisville, and he was coming to visit this past weekend. Made sure he had the room, he did, so I bought it. He delivered it last night. Sooo dirty!!! I'm cleaning w/TR3 (everything looked black), then small areas of bronze appear, more cleaning, more bronze. I'm going to be at this for a while. Piece of masking tape stuck on the top of the coffin top (probably forever) w/$126 written on it. Soaking that spot with Howard's Feed and Wax, trying to remove it.

There are a couple of things missing on the cabinet, leaf extension arm, key for the coffin top, wheel on one of the irons, a wooden lock surround on the drawer and key for the drawers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487435[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]487436[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]487439[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]487440[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]487441[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails 08-cam00598.jpg   01-cam00591.jpg   09-cam00600.jpg   11-cam00602.jpg   06-cam00596.jpg  

Old 08-13-2014, 04:40 AM

Very Nice - even with missing some parts.

I'll be looking for a treadle base for my W&G after I get the building set up - or one for the Singer 24, or the National . . . I guess whatever one I find first. Don't need all three LOL!!
Old 08-13-2014, 07:38 AM
Banned

Awesome! Be vary careful of the cleaning on the decal areas. SM Oil only.

if you shine a flashlight through the bonnet hole from behind you will see either a square of triangular opening, that is the key shape you need to make or buy. The same shape will work the drawer locks.

Also, on the treadle irons, look where the dress guard covers the big drive wheel. You will see a bump. in that bump should be a smooth hard rubber ball. it will most likely need replacing. That ball is thereto prevent the machine from being able to be run backwards. Any rotation backwards and you have a couple minutes of thread tangles around the looper to deal with. They are available on EBay.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 AM

Steve,
Thanks, you're right, it doesn't have a rubber ball. Will be looking for that, too. Got the last of the masking tape off this morning. Looks pretty good. Does anyone have a good side view of the irons? I want to know where I need to concentrate on cleaning to see the bronze color. This one was almost totally black. It will take some time to clean. Just ordered some Renaissance Wax Polish for the irons and the tracks on the quilt frame. Will see how that works out. May try it on an old 99 that I have to see how it affects decals.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Awesome! Be vary careful of the cleaning on the decal areas. SM Oil only.

if you shine a flashlight through the bonnet hole from behind you will see either a square of triangular opening, that is the key shape you need to make or buy. The same shape will work the drawer locks.

Also, on the treadle irons, look where the dress guard covers the big drive wheel. You will see a bump. in that bump should be a smooth hard rubber ball. it will most likely need replacing. That ball is thereto prevent the machine from being able to be run backwards. Any rotation backwards and you have a couple minutes of thread tangles around the looper to deal with. They are available on EBay.
It's this sort of depth of knowledge that some of the members here have that makes this forum so great.

Beautiful machine. I think the Victorian era was the peak of making objects that were both beautiful and functional.
Who wouldn't be inspired to do their very best while they were using such a pretty machine?
Rodney

I forgot to add: It looks like the machine is in a very appropriate setting.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
autiful and functional.
Who wouldn't be inspired to do their very best while they were using such a pretty machine?
Rodney

I forgot to add: It looks like the machine is in a very appropriate setting.
Yes, I do love Victorian.
Old 08-14-2014, 12:01 PM

Great machine, I know you will enjoy using it.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful!!