Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
New machine recommendations please! >

New machine recommendations please!

New machine recommendations please!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:24 AM

Default New machine recommendations please!

Hi there! I'm new to this forum and fairly new to quilting. I started sewing in January of this year, have completely finished one quilt (and three other quilted blankets which I would not necessarily call quilts), and have three other quilts in various states of completion. The machine I have is a Singer touch-n-sew 603e that I inherited from my grandmother. I love it because it is vintage and for sentimental reasons obviously, and it is a great machine. It is, however, a little finicky. I've found that if I use anything but a walking foot for piecing the fabric will shift. And the machine tends to get "tired" (and becomes harder to use) if I use it too much in a day. Also it's pretty hard to control the speed, especially when it gets tired like that. Additionally, I'd like to be able to try fmq at some point, and I'm not sure my current machine would allow me to do that.

What I'd like to get at some point (and what I'd like recommendations for) is a decent quality machine, non-computerized, and easy to use, that is capable of free motion quilting, hopefully for $500 or less. I'm obviously still learning, and I don't think I'll ever be a very serious quilter, so I don't want to spend a fortune on a machine if a less expensive one will do.

Thanks so much for helping me out!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

There are many DSM out there. The best way is to go to a large quilt show and check out all the dealers with their wares. You need to test drive them just like a car and decided what options are important to you. It will be a big learning experience for you. I have an older Bernina 1530 from the 90s and it is still quilting perfectly. Good Luck
Old 08-22-2014, 11:58 AM

I've heard some folks refer to that machine as a 'touch & swear' and then others think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Glad you are having relatively good luck with it. Have you had it in for a tune up recently? That might take care of some of your issues?

If you are looking for a totally mechanical machine, you may need to go vintage, still. Others here that are more familiar can tell you if there are new, non-computerized machines out there that are reliable and capable of FMQ. I don't machine quilt and wanted a computerized machine for some of the features they have.

You could jump over to the vintage machine section of the board and do a search with the 'fmq' term and see which of the vintage machines folks are using for that purpose as a start.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:06 PM

I did take it in to get serviced right before I started using it because it had been probably 15 years since the last time it was used. I could definitely get on board with calling it a "touch and swear," but now that I'm used to it a little more I haven't had as many issues.

I'm not dead set on a completely mechanical machine, more like I don't see the need to have a computerized one. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:08 PM

I have a Brother PQ1500S that has treated me well so far.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:11 PM

I would recommend a singer 301 or 401. You could get a nice one in a cabinet for well under 500.00.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hookem View Post
I have a Brother PQ1500S that has treated me well so far.
i also have this machine, and really like it. It is a non-computerized (my choice too) straight stitch only, no zig zag, if that matters to you. Perfect for piecing and FMQing, but I have not learned how to do that yet. It has a wide harp for quilting. I paid $599 at Amazon about 9 months ago, don't know what the price is now.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
i also have this machine, and really like it. It is a non-computerized (my choice too) straight stitch only, no zig zag, if that matters to you. Perfect for piecing and FMQing, but I have not learned how to do that yet. It has a wide harp for quilting. I paid $599 at Amazon about 9 months ago, don't know what the price is now.
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll have to look into this one when I get serious about purchasing. I don't use the zig zag stitch on my Singer very much, but I can always go back to it when the need arises.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:37 PM

I have heard a lot of people love that Brother PQ1500S. I was thinking about it when I was looking for a machine for FMQ with a larger harp than what I have now. I have a Brother Project Runway LE that I use for piecing and sewing and I love it. Had it for about 6 years or so… and it's been great.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:00 PM

Janome and Brother machines, even the low end ones have a fairly decent reputation, but would definitely stay away from new Singers, would do older Singers though.