Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Loving the sizzix! >

Loving the sizzix!

Loving the sizzix!

Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 AM

Default Loving the sizzix!

I have borrowed a friend's sizzix big shot and bought myself an apple core die to try it out. In 40 minutes (I timed it!) I cut out 108 apple cores! Amazing! I spent most of that time folding all the fabric very carefully to get the least amount of waste possible, and I think I did a pretty good job of that in the end, especially since it was my first time using it! I worked out that I would have had to cut out 2.7 apple cores every minute to do the same amount by hand, and there's no way I'd be able to do that! Also, I have zero pain in my arm, which is a huge plus as I suffer from CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia!
I think I might be a little bit in love!
Old 08-26-2014, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

I am amazed with all the posts about these cutting machines. I don't think I would get my money's worth because I sew mostly using strip pieces making charity quilt such as Warm Wishes and Falling Charms. I saw the Brother's computerized cutter and was quite impressed but too confusing with all the menus beside the price of $499!! Good Luck and enjoy !!
Old 08-26-2014, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

I love the die cut machines. There is one to suit most everyone. At our guilds make a quilt day for beginners we used die cut machines and that was how the block pieces were cut. We had a cutting table with mat and rotary set up to show how to use them but none of the beginners wanted to cut that way.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 AM

I know I couldn't cut that many apple core pieces in a minute. Sounds like a handy tool.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:45 AM

I love my Sizzix Big Kick machine. Now they have the XL dies for strip cutting. They are a bit pricey but well worth every penny. I cut enough fabric for 4 bargello quilts in less than 15 minutes. Each strip was accurate and a dream to work up. I don't regret my purchase for a minute!
I like the Sizzix over any other die cut system because I can use dies from other companies like Accuquilt and others. Best money I ever spent!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:09 AM

I have the Fiskar Fuse (very cheap; you can find it on sale for a little less than 100$). It work with any dies. LOVE it! My cutting time is at least 50% less since I got it. Most important for me is I can cut without too much concentration; it allow me to cut fabric AND watch my kids in the same time! Otherwise I may never find the time to quilt at all...
Old 08-26-2014, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by crashnquilt View Post
I love my Sizzix Big Kick machine. Now they have the XL dies for strip cutting. They are a bit pricey but well worth every penny. I cut enough fabric for 4 bargello quilts in less than 15 minutes. Each strip was accurate and a dream to work up. I don't regret my purchase for a minute!
I like the Sizzix over any other die cut system because I can use dies from other companies like Accuquilt and others. Best money I ever spent!
Oooh, that's such a good idea for making a bargello! I've made one before but I'm not the most accurate with a rotary cutter so I ended up having to bodge it a bit to get seams lined up!
The friend has said I can borrow her big shot whenever I like, but I am wondering about getting myself one as I've seen them for £65, which is a huuge amount less than an accuquilt! I feel like I might want to borrow it too much and annoy her! I think I'll try a few more dies out on the borrowed machine before I make a decision! If I get the hang of piecing curves I'd be tempted to get the drunkard's path die! Also considering a hexie die, as it took me forever to cut them out for my gfg!
I can see myself getting a little bit obsessed!
Old 08-26-2014, 06:40 AM

I have an Accuquilt Studio that I don't use nearly enough. I'd sure be willing to let people use it (meaning people who live nearby), or cut their fabric for them for a small fee. Wonder if there's a future in that?
Old 09-02-2014, 12:17 AM

I have the Sizzix and love it. It not only saves time but is so accurate. I bought mine fron Hobbycraft, they had a promotion on line which gave a 20% discount off everything in store and online. It's worth searching for discount codes. Mine cost £60 this spring. I buy my dies from country view crafts cheap and free postage.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by cannyquilter View Post
I have the Sizzix and love it. It not only saves time but is so accurate. I bought mine fron Hobbycraft, they had a promotion on line which gave a 20% discount off everything in store and online. It's worth searching for discount codes. Mine cost £60 this spring. I buy my dies from country view crafts cheap and free postage.
They've got a promotion at the moment of 15% off if you sign your email up for something (I assume just marketing emails), which makes it about £55...I'm so tempted! My mum would be pretty cross with me though, as she thinks I should just borrow it when I want it and that I don't need to get the machine! It's her friend that has lent me this one, which is why I feel a bit funny about borrowing it all the time! If it was one of my friend's I wouldn't feel so awkward about it! I'm trying desperately to hold out 'til
Christmas, which is very hard for me as I usually can't stop myself when I want something! (also, a bit worried that they might stop the 15% promotion before then!)