Your Favorite Seam Ripper?

Your Favorite Seam Ripper?

Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Default Your Favorite Seam Ripper?

We all have them.
We HAVE to have them.
Seam rippers.
I have four.
Not crazy about any of them. Not sharp enough, long enough or smooth enough in the hand.

They do the job, sooner or later... but I'm thinking there must be some better ones.

Please tell me your favorite seam ripper and why? Where can I buy one and for about how much?
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

CLOVER brown handled flat seam ripper. I have them on every surface!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:48 PM

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Rip Tweezer. http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/rip+tweezer.do

At first I thought, why do I need both in one? I have each separately. Well, it is an excellent small tipped ripper - very easy to insert in small stitches and the tweezers are well made and easy to use. When I need to thread my sewing machine, the tweezers do an excellent job. I have 3 and am going to order a couple more while I can get them. FYI.... I just cannot use the galloping horse theory for my piecing. If I can see it clearly from a couple of feet away, then it has to be fixed.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:57 PM

clover white handle #482/w
Old 08-31-2014, 02:00 AM

I use Clover......for no particular reason. The first one I bought was Clover, and it worked well, so when it comes time to replace, I just get another Clover. There are probably other good ones as well.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:10 AM

The one that I can find.
sandy
Old 08-31-2014, 02:32 AM
Gay

The small white ones that come with Brother and Janome machines are my picks. They seem to be sharper and cut through the threads more easily than other big name brands. I found prices a little different here - a Janome labelled one cost $6.50 at one lqs, and another had an identical no-name brand one for $2.50, worked just as well. Have ordered half a dozen of the latter.
Old 08-31-2014, 02:57 AM

My fav is the red and white handled Fons and Porter ripper. I have at least 5 of those, all over the house. Occasionally I use one which is lighted and has a magnifying glass attached. I got that one at Joann's fabrics and I forget the manufacturer.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
The small white ones that come with Brother and Janome machines are my picks. They seem to be sharper and cut through the threads more easily than other big name brands. I found prices a little different here - a Janome labelled one cost $6.50 at one lqs, and another had an identical no-name brand one for $2.50, worked just as well. Have ordered half a dozen of the latter.
These were my all time favorites until I tried the Rip Tweezer. FYI...you can buy these Brother-type at Hobby Lobby. They had the sharpest, smallest point to go through the small stitches and I really like that. I have at least 5 or 6 of those in all my travel kits. I never knew they could go dull. Evidently I haven't ripped with a single one enough to dull it. lol And I was sure I had, as much as I rip or unsew, the popular term these days.

I was so surprised that the Rip Tweezer has the same small sharp point and the surgical precision Tweezers on the other end. After using the larger in-the-hand Rip Tweezer, I am hooked!

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 08-31-2014 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:02 AM
Power Poster

I have more seam rippers then needles. I like any brand as long as the blade is thin and sharp. If I have to tug on a thread for it to break then I toss the ripper, it's dull. Seam rippers get dull the more it's used so don't think it's a one time purchase. Most of my rippers are Clover and Fons and Porter. I have a few Gingher ones. I have the electric one and I use it for long seams.