New Home treadle stands

Old 09-08-2014, 09:49 PM

Default New Home treadle stands

I have one new home complete. Then two stands, so lets say 3 stands none are the same.

The two newer styles, the only difference is the design on the foot peddle. plus steel and wooden pitman

one has New home cast in, and a steel pitman

The other is just a bunch of holes and a wooden pitman ..guess those are after 1900 ?

#3 which is the new to me

peddle is just holes , wooden pitman , but, the flywheel only has one support, like a wheeler wilson. look close at the black stand. on the left side, notice there is no shaft on the side or support bearing. the other two stands have supports on both side like a singer or most other treadles, I have found cast into the flywheel a patent date of 1881

what gets me is this, The day after I bought this last NH stand. from a different person I bought a national stand and a free westinghouse ( FW ) he then gave me a rusted up new home , it's last patent date is 1887

you see how rusty it is, but the underside was very clean so someone had restored it, then it sat in a unheated shop and went back to rust .. I've found out the hard way in antique car parts. That if there greased out, leave them greasy or they'll turn to rust with in a few yrs..

Old 09-08-2014, 09:59 PM

here's a pic of the underside of that machine as it was found. all I've done to the machine is wire wheel off the rust, of course oil and make it work. base is homemade I scrape with a knife blade opposed to sanding to refinish wood.. much more friendly health wise than breathing in a 100 yrs of who how what type of chemicals, not joking around with that one..
Old 09-08-2014, 10:05 PM

if you look real close this machine came with a motor on it, an add on motor , the motor has a shaft on each end, so it will turn a machine forwards or backwards, depend on how it was mounted, LOL..
Old 09-09-2014, 02:29 AM

Wow! Great job cleaning that machine up. Good proof that even machines that look terrible at first can be saved.
Rodney
Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 AM

That really was a quicko clean up. I did oil the body time after time over a two week period, otherwise just wire wheeled the silver parts, normally I'll wheel and polish every thing silver.

I wish I would have photo'd a national machine ( new Home copy) That sat for two years in a flower bed. The rust was the flacky type top and bottom, it took 3 months of serious heat, like red hot to free it up. it looks as good, maybe better than this one.

The lady I bought it from laughed and said it will never work again. I feel like going back and give it to her , she has it's treadle stand in her home LOL.. which is branded as a sandia