Sewing Machine diagnosis 101

Old 09-10-2014, 07:28 AM

Default Sewing Machine diagnosis 101

OK, here's a new thread to play with; trying to ID what's wrong with a machine from the text and pics of a GW auction add. Although it's not a vintage machine, we can still learn from other peoples lack of smarts.

Here is the add: { http://www.shopgoodwill.com/auctions...-17954568.html }

Now, read the text describing the machine, and then study the pics and see if you figure out what is causing the non functioning needle bar.

Joe
Old 09-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Bobbin winder is engaged.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Banned

Because it's plastic? (hehe just my prejudice showing..)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Because it's plastic? (hehe just my prejudice showing..)
hahahaha lol
Old 09-10-2014, 08:02 AM

Thanks, this was a good exercise in reminding us to look at the details in pics and potentially ending up with a really sweet deal (but not on this piece of plastic)
Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

My Singer did that the other day and the bobbin thread somehow slipped out of the bobbin and got tangled. I clipped the thread at the bobbin and started over.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:33 AM

KRA,
You got it. (Kinda wished you hadn't given it away right off the bat though )

SteveH,
I totally agree with you. I've used one very similar to that and your prejudice is spot on. Machines like that are junk.

Yobrosew,
I got a really nice MW machine from GW cos the cord set was missing. The nitwits plugged the motor directly into a power source then claimed there was something wrong with it cos it wouldn't shut off until they unplugged it. When I saw that I laughed myself silly and bid on the machine. Won it, fixed it up and use it occasionally.

I also got burned by not paying attention to details. I once won an auction for a 66-18 that had a broken thread take up lever. It was clearly visible in the pics, I just didn't see it. That's now one of the first things I look for. And one of the reasons I will not bid on a machine where the sellers show only the back side.

Joe
Old 09-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Sorry, Joe! I'll wait a bit next time. (You've just given me license to claim that I had the answer all along but was waiting for others to figure it out. )
Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 AM

Yep, I've done that tooo. LOL.

Joe
Old 09-10-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
KRA,
You got it. (Kinda wished you hadn't given it away right off the bat though )

SteveH,
I totally agree with you. I've used one very similar to that and your prejudice is spot on. Machines like that are junk.

Yobrosew,
I got a really nice MW machine from GW cos the cord set was missing. The nitwits plugged the motor directly into a power source then claimed there was something wrong with it cos it wouldn't shut off until they unplugged it. When I saw that I laughed myself silly and bid on the machine. Won it, fixed it up and use it occasionally.

I also got burned by not paying attention to details. I once won an auction for a 66-18 that had a broken thread take up lever. It was clearly visible in the pics, I just didn't see it. That's now one of the first things I look for. And one of the reasons I will not bid on a machine where the sellers show only the back side.

Joe
About those backside pics -- funny how often the seller, when requested, will not provide a front view. Always some excuse: no camera now, not at computer, someone else loaded up to site and they themselves don't know how, the dog ate the camera, . . . . .