Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can you use a cookie cutter on fabric? >

Can you use a cookie cutter on fabric?

Can you use a cookie cutter on fabric?

Old 09-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Default Can you use a cookie cutter on fabric?

I want to cut several small pieces into butterfly shapes. I do not have a Go Baby, or Accu Quilt or some such thing.
I know basically these work like a past machine, the cutting dies are hidden in foam until they are rolled through the machine, which presses down the foam, exposing the cutting edges of the die. I wonder, could you use a cookie cutter and a rolling pin for a few shapes? Probably the coookie cutter wouldn't hold up to much pressure, so not a good long term answer. And the rolling pin would need be a sacrificial one as it would get marks you may not want when you are trying to roll pastry. But, for a short term project - would this work? Have you tried it?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM

Perhaps I don't completely understand what you are trying to do, but my cookie cutters are not sharp enought to cut fabric. It would be more tedious, but you could trace around the cutter, and then cut out the shape with scissors.
Originally Posted by grammatjr View Post
I want to cut several small pieces into butterfly shapes. I do not have a Go Baby, or Accu Quilt or some such thing.
I know basically these work like a past machine, the cutting dies are hidden in foam until they are rolled through the machine, which presses down the foam, exposing the cutting edges of the die. I wonder, could you use a cookie cutter and a rolling pin for a few shapes? Probably the coookie cutter wouldn't hold up to much pressure, so not a good long term answer. And the rolling pin would need be a sacrificial one as it would get marks you may not want when you are trying to roll pastry. But, for a short term project - would this work? Have you tried it?
Old 09-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

I don't think it would work. The cookie cutter edges are sharp, but not sharp the way die cutting edges are sharp. Also, I'm sure the material used for metal cookie cutters is softer than that used in dies. The machines use a mat between the fabric and roller too.

Are you thinking in terms of fusible applique shapes? Your method might work well enough to create indentations in the fabric which you could then cut out with scissors. Otherwise you can draw the shapes on freezer paper, iron the freezer paper to the right side of your fabric, iron fusible to the wrong side of the fabric, then cut with scissors along the freezer paper shapes and peel off the freezer paper.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 AM

I did forget to mention the mat. I am wanting dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of small butterfly shapes and just trying to find a way to easily/quickly cut them. I had thought of taking a file to the edges to make them sharper???
Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

I think the concept is the same as for a die-cutter.

However, the tools you want to use seem don't seem adequate for the task.

A bit like using a plastic picnic knife when what you really need is a razor sharp butcher knife to cut through the gristle.

Try it yourself and see how it works. Maybe your cookie cutters have sharper edges than mine.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Just order these and be done with it.

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/5682.htm
Old 09-16-2014, 09:25 AM

Have you checked on line to see if some company/ shop may sell that shape in precuts? I do remember seeing some precut shapes - hearts, circles... for sale in some catalog......connecting threads,Nancy's notions, etc...?
Old 09-16-2014, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Just order these and be done with it.

http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/5682.htm

Seems like a money and time saving solution if this is a one-time project!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:30 AM

I was also going to suggest pre-cuts. I think that is the only way to go!
Old 09-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

The blades in die cutter dies are hardened steel. Your cookie cutters are just not going to cut it!