Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you use monofilament thread? >

Do you use monofilament thread?

Do you use monofilament thread?

Old 09-18-2014, 07:08 PM

Default Do you use monofilament thread?

I've tried several times to use monofilament as the top thread on my Bernina 435 for FMQ (so my stitches won't show) but I guess this machine doesn't like it. It makes a nest of a mess on the bottom side of the quilt. I've tried to change the needle to a bigger eye. I've tried tightening and loosening the top tension but none of these things work. Do you have any thoughts that might help me? My old Singer didn't care what thread I used. So frustrating!
Old 09-18-2014, 07:15 PM

I can use it on my Brother machine for regular stitching. I've not tried to FMQ with it. I generally have to loose the top tension.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:20 PM

I use a very small needle 70/10 or 65/8 with monofilament. I also use a cone thread holder and put the holder as far from You will need to play with the tension a bit , generally looser. I have never had much success with using it in the bobbin and top at the same time when free motion quilting.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:27 PM

A wise older quilter told me once to only use it in the top and regular thread in the bobbin. So far, the little I have used it, I have had good luck.
Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

I have used it both top and bobbin in my Bernina 1230 with no problems. Is it nylon monofilament? Or polyester monofilament? I know that with nylon monofilament there are some things that help a lot. The same probably holds true of polyester monofilament.

(1) Nylon monofilament stretches easily, which means I need to reduce the top tension from a 5 to a 3. Basically, cut your top tension in half.

(2) If the thread is on a cone, I use a thread net on it, place the cone in a jar behind my machine, and feed it straight up into an outrigger thread guide before it ever goes to the first guide on my machine. You can use a thread stand instead of a jar and the outrigger. I really like the Superior Threads new acrylic thread stand for this purpose. In other words, this thread often needs a pre-guide in order to feed correctly into the top thread guides. At least with a cone, you absolutely need a thread net. If you are using a spool instead of a cone, I'm not sure but a thread net cut to size probably wouldn't hurt and might help. This thread is slippery and has a tendency to fall down the cone and get caught before it feeds. You really need to make sure the thread has an unimpeded path to the needle, because any "glitch" in the feed (and the thread goes in and out of the needle multiple times for a single stitch) will cause thread nests underneath.

(3) If winding a bobbin with this stuff, do it slowly in order not to stretch the thread as it is going on the bobbin.

(4) If using a plastic bobbin, wind only half full. If using a metal bobbin, wind 3/4ths full. Never overfill the bobbin with this thread. Because of its tendency to stretch, winding fast and/or winding a bobbin too full can distort the bobbin's shape, causing numerous unexplainable problems when trying to sew.

Last edited by Prism99; 09-18-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 PM

I haven't used it. However I have used Wonderfil's Invisafil Thread for stitching in the ditch. It's 100 wt polyester thread and hardly shows.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:19 AM

I have a Bernina and use it on top only, never in the bobbin. Never had problems. Winding on the bobbin can stretch it.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:41 AM

I absolutely HATE monofilament thread and refuse to use it.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:00 AM

I use Superior Thread Monopoly. I use it in the needle only. I loosen the top tension to 2 or 3 and use a thread net on the spool. I don't care to Nylon monofiliment thread because of the sheen of the thread and I constantly get breakage.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

When ever I use it, I use it only on the top. I have a Bernina 1530. I do adjust the top tension and I also use the lubricant called Sewers Aid that I buy at JAF. I also use this for when I sew with metallic thread. If I am FMQ background, I prefer to use cotton thread instead. I feel it is much better for the quilt to use cotton thread but use the mono-filament only when necessary.