Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Question about feet (Necchi Mira) >

Question about feet (Necchi Mira)

Question about feet (Necchi Mira)

Old 09-25-2014, 11:36 PM

Default Question about feet (Necchi Mira)

Hello,
I want to get a 1/4 foot for my Necchi Mira, I believe it's low shank, but I wanted to confirm that before I ordered one. Does anyone know?

Also I'm going to be using a walking foot to finish off my quilt, I had planned to use my regular modern machine, but I wondered if I could use a walking foot on a vintage machine?

Thanks!
Megan
Old 09-26-2014, 03:05 AM
Power Poster

You can use a walking foot on the vintage machines as long as it fits your shank. I don't know about all Nechhi machines but the one I used to have had high shank attachments. Just a funny story though. I figured out my then new to me Singer 401 used some attachment other than low shank. SSSOOOOO I tested the Necchi high shank attachment on the Singer 401. HUGE mistake. The 401 takes slant shank attachments. Anyway the high shank threw the timing off on the needle bar. I think you can safely test any low shank attachments but be careful with high shank. If you try a low shank and it isn't right the foot won't go all the way down to the plate. sew-classic has a lot of good info on her blog about the different size attachments.
Old 09-26-2014, 03:09 AM

What Miriam said. Sew-Classic has a very good explanation on how to tell which feet your machine takes.
Pictures of the machine and the quilt are always appreciated.
Rodney
Old 09-26-2014, 08:25 AM

Oh no Miriam! Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 09-26-2014, 08:37 AM

Your machine takes high shank feet. Here is the chart Rodney referenced: http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/What...hank-Style.htm

If your other machine is low shank, compare the feet and then you'll know them just by looking. Your Necchi will also use industrial presser feet, which can often be found in sets cheaper than individual feet. Sewclassic sells both 1/4" quilting feet and walking feet for high shank machines, as well as darning feet.

If you don't have a manual, I recommend joining the necchisewingmachineclub on yahoo groups, post an introduction and then join the necchisewingcircle group and you'll have access to a manual and a service manual. The Necchi Mira is the Necchi BU with the addition of the Wonder Wheel. There is some discussion in the yahoo group about difficulties getting a walking foot to work on high shank machines, but it might be for the Supernovas. Some reported needing a longer attachment screw (but metric unlike Singers). I purchased a walking foot for my BU and had to remove the thread cutter (just a metal clip on the presser foot bar) for it to fit but had no problems in a test run. I haven't used it yet for a full project.

However, my BU has become my favorite machine for FMQ. It's quiet and smooth and doesn't skip stitches. The only issue is the foot controller gets really really hot so I'll probably switch it out for an electronic controller. The drop feed lever is under the bobbin cover slide plate.

Good luck.

John