Need help with old machine.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:43 PM

Default Need help with old machine.

It is a vintage Packard.I threaded according to a you tube video.When there is no thread it rotates very smooth.When I thread it ,it picks up the bobbin thread.I move hand wheel manually and usually by what should be the 3rd or 4th stitch it breaks the top thread and never makes a real stitch.Also the bobbin thread does not get used.I have included picks.I have tried 3 needles ,with thread going from left to right. thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails qb0004.jpg   qb0005.jpg   qb0006.jpg   qb0009.jpg   qb0010.jpg  

Old 09-26-2014, 03:49 PM

i would double check how its threaded through the tension module. it doesnt look right to me.
http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/images/15thread2.jpg
Old 09-26-2014, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by foufymaus View Post
i would double check how its threaded through the tension module. it doesnt look right to me.
I fixed that after I took pics and still the same problem.If you only knew how many times it has been rethreaded.I also cleaned that assembly well.I also tried 2 different types of thread too.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by wolph33 View Post
I fixed that after I took pics and still the same problem.If you only knew how many times it has been rethreaded.I also cleaned that assembly well.I also tried 2 different types of thread too.
I was going to question how that thread could come into the tension discs, then what looks like out the side and under the spring, but see you have corrected that. I am curious about the bobbin and case. Would that rust on the bobbin affect it? Have you tried the "yo-yo" test of the bobbin case with a different bobbin in place? Did you check the inside of the bobbin case?
Old 09-26-2014, 04:11 PM

I did not look in the case, I have more bobbins, will try that tomorrow, thanks
Old 09-26-2014, 04:11 PM

My Rodney machine has the same setup for the top tension. Down thru the disks, up around the little bar, thru the check spring, then the take up arm. from the take up arm follow the guides down and thread from left to right thru the needle. Other than the wonkiness at the disks , yours looks right. Is the top tension releasing when you raise the presser foot? Can you manually pull the thread when the presser foot is down? You're binding up somewhere, it's just a process of elimination.
Rodney
Old 09-26-2014, 04:31 PM

I can not pull easily with presser foot down, tension does release with foot up.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:31 PM

Does the bobbin rotate in the correct direction?
Old 09-26-2014, 06:41 PM

Your tension looks like it's backed pretty much all the way out in your picture. It sounds like it's releasing ok though. Have you tried stitching just by turning the handwheel? If so, does the thread break that way too and can you see where it gets tight first? Right now I'm still inclined to believe the problem is in the top tension assembly. My Rodney machine had all sorts of tension issues until I took the top tension apart and cleaned it. It appeared clean before that but cleaning it did make a difference even though I'm not sure what the problem really was.
I hate frustrating weird little mystery problems like this. Give me thoroughly broken, the problem's right here type problems instead any day.
The best advice I can give you is to ignore everything you've already done, grab your favorite beverage, relax a bit then approach the machine like you've never touched it before.
Rodney
Old 09-26-2014, 06:47 PM

Is your needle in correctly? The flat on the shank should go toward the needle bar.
Rodney