Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Boy, am I in a pickle!  Need help! >

Boy, am I in a pickle! Need help!

Boy, am I in a pickle! Need help!

Old 10-12-2014, 07:32 PM

Default Boy, am I in a pickle! Need help!

I got a call from the long-armer today, and an accident has happened. She had my quilt top in her laundry room on the floor, and somehow her cats where chasing each other and managed to knock over a gallon of bleach onto my quilt top (it hadn't been quilted yet) and the top on the bleach wasn't secure, so my quilt top ended up soaking up most of the bleach. The long arm quilter was horrified when she found it. Not only were the colors bleached out, but the fabric in many places had been destroyed by the bleach. There was no saving the quilt. She called me, in tears, and explained what happened. She offered to pay my shipping to her, pay a more than generous amount for the fabric used, and to quilt the next quilt for free. I suppose I could have gotten angry, but what can you do, accidents happen. I've used her for years, and this is the first time she hasn't been 100% perfect with my quilts.

Question: the holidays are coming up, and now I REALLY need to get a queen sized masculine quilt put together in a jiffy. I had done a Jacob's ladder with masculine color and prints (because it's for Ian) but that's a lot of piecing. Can anyone think of a quilt that would look sophisticated yet simple that could be pieced in short order? (All I want is the world, right?) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-13-2014 at 02:04 AM. Reason: remove pda
Old 10-12-2014, 07:38 PM

Disappearing nine Patch is my go-to for a quick but intricate looking quilt. It can look masculine based on the fabrics you use. I do mine with 5" squares...think...charms!
Old 10-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Power Poster

Jenny just posted a new quilt with rectangles with the shadow effect. It is really easy but looks amazing. I started a post about it and it is called the Illusion Block Quilt I believe. If you look in the Links and Resources section of QB it should be there or you can go to the Missouri Star Quilt Co and look at it.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:53 PM

I can't imagine how I would feel if my quilt was ruined by a cat! But you're right, accidents happen and can't be un-done.

I made a chevron quilt...not queen size, but a large throw quilt. Piecing it was amazingly fast and enjoyable.
It uses two fabrics, but you could use more. It's also very patriotic, but you can use any theme.

Here's the link.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t252879.html

Good luck with your quilt, and I hope your sister is recovering fast!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:02 PM

All 3 ideas would be great. You could also do a Rail Fence with 3-5 fabrics. Strip piecing is quick & you can arrange it to look like a stair step or zig-zag pattern.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:16 PM

Warm Wishes is my go to "quickie". Easy to do in masculine colors and looks great. I did one on " camo" for a great grandson.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 PM

The original BQ by Maple Island Quilts is a super fast pattern as long as you don't use directional fabric. My best results have been using only 3 fabrics. I am not a fast cutter or piecer. I can cut the pattern out in 1 day. Sew all the blocks the second day. Sew the blocks together the third. This is one I made for a BIL.
Attached Thumbnails 6a-bq-matt-sm.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 08:44 PM

You are very sweet to be so understanding towards your longarmer.... but why the heck was your quilt top ON THE FLOOR??
Old 10-12-2014, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
You are very sweet to be so understanding towards your longarmer.... but why the heck was your quilt top ON THE FLOOR??
And in the laundry room?

Sorry about the quilt. The illusion quilt from Jenny may take a little longer to cut but will sew together easily. I would also emphasis you want it finished before Xmas .
Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 AM

I like the BQ patterns ( still meaning to make one..sigh...keep seeing fabric in my stash but too many ufos in line already)..also like warm wishes and rail fence. quilt in a day log cabin and time for a chain irish chain are nice too