Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flip and Sew >

Flip and Sew

Flip and Sew

Old 11-06-2014, 03:50 PM

Default Flip and Sew

I feel like a real dummy but can someone please explain the "flip and sew" method to me. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 04:32 PM

I was curious about the term so I went to Yahoo and entered flip & sew method Several good answers for you.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/04/...flip-tutorial/
http://crafts.creativebug.com/make-f...uilt-1078.html

Happy Quilting!
Old 11-06-2014, 04:46 PM

It should be called sew and flip. You make a sandwich of one part of the quilt, then you lay the top fabric of the next piece right side down on the sandwich. You then add batting and the back of the quilt to the back of the first part. Sew them together with 1/4 inch seam. Then flip the top fabric over and the batting and backing so they match and make another sandwich. You keep adding just like you would sew a top together, but you have the batting and backing on the underneath side so in effect you are quilting the quilt as you go. The woman who taught me used a wide zigzag to sew her pieces together. Both of the sites mentioned consider it like foundation piecing but that is now how I do it.

Last edited by gmcsewer; 11-06-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: To add to instructions.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:25 PM

I sew and flip blocks without batting and then sandwich each block proceed to quilt each of them. They are then attached with a "quilt as you go" method, but I don't quilt during the piecing step.
Attached Thumbnails johndeere2qb.jpg  
Old 11-06-2014, 05:29 PM

Sorry about my grammar error in the above post -- the system will not let me edit.
Dayle
Old 11-06-2014, 07:12 PM

Me again. I should have said you sew around the outside of the original sandwich to stablize it. Then you lay the next piece (front face down, backing right side facing the sandwich, and batting) on to the first sandwich. Sew 1/4 inch from edge. Flip the top piece over and bring the batting and backing to meet it. Stitch the open sides to close them. Then add your next piece. Most I have done were similar to a giant log cabin block. There is a you tube called quilt as you go Tshirt quilt where she is adding the last strip of blocks to her quilt and you can see how she does it. Nancy Zieman has shown this method on her show but I could not bring up any of her videos. When I do a T shirt quilt, I make strips 12"wide plus any sashing I have decided to use. I then join the strips using this method. After each strip is added, I do FMQ to outline the logo or writing so the stitching is about 4 inches spacing. I use a batting that requires stitching every 5 to 8 inches so My stitching ends up being close enough. Hope you can understand this method.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:20 PM

It's a QAYG method. You can find them all over you tube for tutes. Choose the size of your block or table runner, then cut the backing, batting and generally strips to make the project. And sew.....

Lay down you backing (right side down), Lay your batting on top of that, find the center and draw a line; then take strips cut to you choice of sizes. Turn the 1st strip, face down with edge lined up with the line you drew on the batting. Sew a 1/4" seam from the line and side of strip. Press strip over and sew the next strip to the other edge. Continue til the block is finished. It is already quilted. Hence, QAYG. I made a nice Christmas table runner with that method.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:42 AM

Here is a tutorial I posted last year http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t216993.html
Old 11-07-2014, 07:02 AM

Me again. I found a tute on youtube by Kaye wood showing this method. it is Kay wood's 6 hour quilt. A really fast way of getting a finished quilt for babies or charity. I hope you can locate it.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:46 AM

I made Kaye Woods' 6 hour quilt years ago. But it took me a lot longer than 6 hours. But it was easy and fun! Can also be done on the serger if you have one.