Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Modify quilt pattern math ? >

Modify quilt pattern math ?

Modify quilt pattern math ?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 PM

Default Modify quilt pattern math ?

I am making a quilt for my sister-in-law from some fabrics she chose & I added more. I am making the Diamond Rail Fence from Ms Star. Video is 8/23/12 & it is in the Spring 2013 issue of Quilting Quickly where it is title Piece Out. Sharon chose 6 fabrics & left it to me to pick a pattern. My question is what size to make the "diamonds" so I can applique them in place? The sub-blocks are 6-1/2", snowball 1 corner with a 2-1/2" square, place 4 blocks together with that corner in the center to make the diamond, creating a 12-1/2" main block. In the video, Jenny also does a 1-1/2" square to make the snowball/diamond between the 12-1/2" blocks. Could I applique these also or am I asking for trouble there? Sharon close a wine colored batik & that is what I want to use for the diamonds, inner border & binding. I basted 4 sub-blocks together for the main block & did paper squares from 2"-3" & am thinking I need 2-7/8". Would someone help please? I have a problem doing total scrappy, am trying for a little control & that is totally messing me up. Guess I need to do a Bonnie Hunter pattern to loosen up.

A little background. Sharon had a mastectomy on 10/23 & a 2nd surg. to locate lymph nodes on 11/3. She may be coming home from Atlanta this wkend & I'd like to have this quilt for as soon as possible which is why I'm thinking to applique these 'diamonds'. Thank you for any help. Vickie
Old 11-08-2014, 10:14 PM

Could you give us any websites that would explain what you are talking about? It's a bit confusing to me.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 PM

Is this the quilt you are making? I'm not seeing any applique, the corners are pieced and form the diamond when the blocks go together. If this is not the quilt you're talking about, could you post a link?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq0Oo3K7-1I
Old 11-08-2014, 10:58 PM

It seems to me that if the quilt in the above video is used, appliqueing would be more tedious than if the diamonds were added as in the video. BTW, that is a cute quilt. I hadn't seen that one before. ctrysass2012, I wish you luck and also hope your friend will have a quick recovery.
Old 11-08-2014, 11:16 PM

I have a similar pattern here: http://colormequilted.com/free-patterns/

If you change the direction of the pinwheel, it will become a diamond.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:42 AM

Here's the quilt she's talking about. The diamonds are pieced.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop...ce-out-pattern
Old 11-09-2014, 05:25 AM
Power Poster

Your 2 7/8" square should work. Remember that your SIL probably hasn't seen the video or magazine, so as long as you pick a consistent measurement for the accent squares, you will get the 'look' of that quilt. Having said that, unless you are doing raw edge applique, I think it would be way quicker to just piece the flippy corners.
Best wishes for your SIL speedy recovery.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 11-09-2014 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:27 AM

Cass62 & Mdegenhart that is the pattern. PaperPrincess I am thinking of raw edge using Soft Fuse to keep the squares in place then using a satin stitch. Doing the smaller squares would have to be pieced if I decide to do that. I would only do the center of the quilt with those not into the border. She does not sew, I'm the 'go to' for anything she wants sewn so she wouldn't know any difference. Thank you.