Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do I modify the size of cutting requirements? >

How do I modify the size of cutting requirements?

How do I modify the size of cutting requirements?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:07 AM

Default How do I modify the size of cutting requirements?

Try as I might, my brain is not math savvy! I love the quilt "Splendor in the Scraps" and want to make this wonderfully scrappy delight. The pattern is in the July/August McCall's Quilting (the best of american quilting) magazine. It calls for squares which are 3 3/8, 5 1/4, 2 7/8. I have no problem cutting on the inch and 1/2 line, even the 1/4 is one I can do ok, but the rest....my oh my.
It's the fractions that mess me up. I have quilted for years and do not think of myself as a beginner. So this problem drives me a little nuts. ( maybe a lot nuts)!! The pattern does not give the size of the unfinished blocks. If I could do the math maybe I could figure this out by myself. There are square in a square blocks. Main sq is 3 3/8. The outside sq is 2 7/8 cut diagonally twice. The flying geese blocks are 5 1/4 cut once diagonally and 2 7/8 cut diagonally twice. I usually do flying geese with rectangles and squares. I have an accuquilt go and am looking for dies that would help me. And I am reaching out for a little help here on the board. Thank you!!!
Old 06-10-2016, 09:15 AM

I don't have an answer for you but would love to hear what other say. I tend to take the smallest piece scale up to the closest 1/4" and then sketch out on graph paper and figure out what the rest of the blocks/pieces should be.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Power Poster

I would cut the shapes the size you are comfortable with and make a block to see how it goes together. A smaller or larger block won't make any difference.

Here is the free pattern if anyone is interested: ww.mccallsquilting.com/content_downloads/Splendor_in_the_Scraps.pdf
Old 06-10-2016, 09:35 AM

I took a quick look at the pattern and I have a couple of thoughts. It looks like to me that the square-in-a-square should be 4 1/2" unfinished. Use any technique you prefer to make the units and the flying geese units (2 FG sewn together) should be 4 1/2" unfinished too. So each FG unit would be 2 1/2" x 4 1/2" unfinished. Use your Accuquilt to cut those individual pieces.

Here's a chart & guide for SIQS units:

http://quiltville.com/sqinsqtutorial.shtml

Hope it helps!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Here's the pattern in question (free down load)
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...-Quilt-Pattern
Those odd shapes are to create perfectly sized square in a square and flying geese units As mentioned above, you can round up to the next 1/8", and cut the unit down to the correct size when it's done.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:18 AM

To use the Go cutter, I think this is the die you would need for the C squares (2 flying geese): http://www.accuquilt.com/shop/go-fly...ie-bundle.html

There isn't a die for the centre square of the A and B blocks, but you could use the 4" finished (4 1/2" including seam allowances) square, and then add the corners using the HST in the middle of the 55018 die from the flying geese. You would cut off the corners of the big centre square after attaching the little corners, if that makes sense.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:34 AM
Power Poster

3/8 is the line between 1/4 and 1/2.
7/8 is the line between 3/4 and the full next inch.

If you know what the final size of the pieced sub-blocks is then you can certainly use the method that you are most familiar with.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:15 AM

You'all make it so easy for me. Thanks many times over!!! My method for the FG will be rectangles and squares which is Janes suggestion. 2 1/2 squares and 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 rectangles easy for me! And the sias also from Jane will be Bonnies Hunters chart. Thanks so much everyone. You are so helpful and kind to reply. Rhonda Lee

Last edited by Rhonda Lee; 06-10-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:08 AM

I do not cut 7/8 I round up to an inch and then trim
Old 06-11-2016, 05:10 AM
Power Poster

I always round up and then trim the blocks after they have been pressed. Flying geese I normally do EB method. They come out perfect every time.