Old 06-10-2016, 09:07 AM
Rhonda Lee

Default How do I modify the size of cutting requirements?

Try as I might, my brain is not math savvy! I love the quilt "Splendor in the Scraps" and want to make this wonderfully scrappy delight. The pattern is in the July/August McCall's Quilting (the best of american quilting) magazine. It calls for squares which are 3 3/8, 5 1/4, 2 7/8. I have no problem cutting on the inch and 1/2 line, even the 1/4 is one I can do ok, but the rest....my oh my.
It's the fractions that mess me up. I have quilted for years and do not think of myself as a beginner. So this problem drives me a little nuts. ( maybe a lot nuts)!! The pattern does not give the size of the unfinished blocks. If I could do the math maybe I could figure this out by myself. There are square in a square blocks. Main sq is 3 3/8. The outside sq is 2 7/8 cut diagonally twice. The flying geese blocks are 5 1/4 cut once diagonally and 2 7/8 cut diagonally twice. I usually do flying geese with rectangles and squares. I have an accuquilt go and am looking for dies that would help me. And I am reaching out for a little help here on the board. Thank you!!!