Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you used the lighted seam ripper with attached magnifier? >

Have you used the lighted seam ripper with attached magnifier?

Have you used the lighted seam ripper with attached magnifier?

Old 11-10-2014, 11:00 AM

Default Have you used the lighted seam ripper with attached magnifier?

I just used the lighted seam ripper with attached magnifier and I have to admit that I like it! It feels a bit awkward at first, but once I got it adjusted and figured out I really could see the seam better....well, I think it is a keeper.

I am surprised because it was an impulse-type item at the checkout stand at Hancock's, and my husband was with me. He always wants me to get things I don't think I need, but I gave in this time. That was about a month ago, but I didn't use it until today.

I had taken a break from chain stitching, and when I resumed, I sewed the wrong sides together....five times! To make matters worse, I sewed three of them together wrong again, after I had ripped the seams out! I guess I wanted to use this nifty tool again?

Anyway, if you have trouble seeing to rip out, it might be something you want to look at. Hmmm, I wonder how it works with black thread on black fabric? That is the hardest for me to see .

Dina
Old 11-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

Interesting item Dina. I would think it would be so hard to hold with all those items on a seam ripper. Glad that it works for you. Starting another Bargello in pinks and purples.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Interesting item Dina. I would think it would be so hard to hold with all those items on a seam ripper. Glad that it works for you. Starting another Bargello in pinks and purples.
Well, I am jealous! A Bargello in pinks and purples sounds wonderful. Hmmmmm, got to think on that idea. (I wouldn't copy, of course...) I have been itching to do another Bargello, but none of the patterns in all of my books....and I have many....seem to have caught me. I don't want to just create my own, like I did the last four. Sort of wanted to do one requiring less brain power.

Let me take a picture of this seam ripper. Like I said, it surprised me that I like it. (I do have really bad eyesight though, and the light and magnification are nice.) I used my 50% off coupon, which made the $10. price less awful.

In the second picture, I tried to prop it up so you could see through the magnifier....not too successfully though. I also turned the light on, but then that make it all look blurry, so I turned it off. The seam ripper itself sort of rotates, if you want it to. Anyway, I like it, and I am not a gadget person.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails s8002055.jpg   s8002056.jpg  
Old 11-10-2014, 12:37 PM

I've seen those at Hancock's but have not submitted to the impulse. After your experience, I'll have to give it another look.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:22 PM

I love my lighted, magnified seam ripper. Being left-handed, it is very adjustable. It is gray and the only name on it is "mighty bright". Makes a wonderful gift for an older quilter.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:27 PM

I got one of those. I love that thing. Cause I sure can't see those stitches. Sometimes I use the lighted magnifying part to double check needles also, cause I'm pretty sure not all of them actually have holes in them.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:09 AM

I couldn't rip a seam without mine! Just that little bit of light and magnification helps these tired old eyes!
Old 11-11-2014, 05:29 AM

I am glad others have found this seam ripper. I must really want to use mine because I continued chain stitching yesterday and again I sewed a group wrong side to wrong side. (My fabric is about the same on each side, maybe I should quit worrying about this....) Anyway, I just took my stack of ten mistakes and sat in front of the tv ripping out. That is the first time I had enough light to do that.

However, I am telling my self that I don't need to keep ripping things out just because I like my new tool.

Dina
Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 AM

I have one and have found it awkward to use. Probably just requires a little more time to get used to it, but I will always pick up the tiniest ripper that I have handy.