Foot control question?

Old 11-13-2014, 08:12 AM

Post Foot control question?

Is it possible to replace an older/vintage foot control with the newer electronic units. If it's possible, is it just a matter of rewiring the new controller or is it more involved. Electronics is not my best subject.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Soman2
The other Rodney
Ponchatoula,La
Old 11-13-2014, 08:22 AM

T. O. Rodney,

>Is it possible to replace an older/vintage foot control with the newer electronic units.
Yes

>is it just a matter of rewiring the new controller
Yes

> or is it more involved.
Nope, just need to make the mechanical connection

> Electronics is not my best subject.
Mine either, but replacing a foot controller isn't a case of electronics, just basic electrical wiring.

The electronic controllers are generally two wire units just like the older resistance types. Some have screw connections, some you have to splice the controller's short pieces of wire into the end of the controller cord. Either way it's really very easy.

Joe
Old 11-13-2014, 08:44 AM

Thanks Joe,
I was not sure if the machine needed some sort of compatible electronic gizmo to make it work properly.

Rodney
Old 11-13-2014, 12:01 PM

Rodney,

Is this the one that has a toggle switch controller ... nothing, then wide open throttle?

If so the controller is the problem. It might need cleaning, might need adjusting, and if it's full of tiny little carbon disks it might need to have some replaced. If a controller with the carbon disks is dropped they can break. That will mess up the conductivity.

You can also get modern resistance controllers too. Generally they are less expensive than the electronic ones.

Joe
Old 11-13-2014, 12:12 PM

I've got new electronic (solid state) foot controllers (and new cord sets) for all of my working mechanical machines. The youngest of which is 39 years old (Kenmore 148.13110). New controller works beautifully on my otherwise original Featherweight, and the cord set that it came with wasn't original anyway. I just ordered another one for my 603 and 600E.

I just can't get the feel of button controllers, and the electronic pedals are only a little more expensive than the resistance ones when buying new. I get mine from Sew-Classic.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM
Banned

Aerin, does the 600 work?

Cari
Old 11-13-2014, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
Aerin, does the 600 work?

Cari
Haven't plugged it in yet. It doesn't want to move by hand very well, so I'm going to give it a good cleaning before I try the motor. So, on the list. Above the frozen 201, but below holiday gifts that I really need to get started on. As one does around this time of year.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:26 PM

The electronic ones work fine. They have one benefit in that they do not get warm like the resistance ones do. The thing I dislike about them is that everyone I've seen is made from CHEEP plastic. No weight, or substance.

I've got several machines with OEM electronic controllers and one cord set I wired up with a unit from Sew-Classic.
I've had no trouble with any of them.

Joe
Old 11-13-2014, 04:31 PM

They may feel cheap but sometimes that's an illusion. With electronics there's a lot less weight than with resistance coils and ceramics. I guess in 20 years or so we'll know for sure how they really are.
I think it was Electrolux vacuums, the early canister ones, that had a lead weight in them so they would feel heavier so people would think they were of better quality. That was the sole purpose of the weight. People thought they were too light to be any good when they were first introduced.
Rodney
Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 AM

Rodney,

What you say is true I guess. But I dislike plastic so no matter what others might say to me, plastic = junk. Also there are times where you do need the weight and the stability it gives you.
Those are my opinions and I've been around long enough to watch the change from real quality to the pseudo quality we are forced to endure now.

Joe