Kenmore 158.17300

Old 11-14-2014, 05:49 PM

Default Kenmore 158.17300

I got this machine from a thrift mall and it sews a straight stitch and zig zag stitch just fine. I finally found a set of cams for the thing, but it is not sewing all the cams right. Any of the cams that call for the "red dot" setting do not sew the pattern. Any that are supposed to use the "white arrow" setting are doing fine. This is the first time I have ever used a machine with cams or even saw one used. So I am thinking it's me. I do have the manual and have followed the directions and rechecked settings, still no go. Any experienced "cam" people got any ideas or advice?
Old 11-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Ann, I'm not familiar with your specific model, but on my 158.1786081, there was a second setting I had to use for one set of cams to work. The double layer ones (two levels of cutouts) required setting a second knob that is inside the stitch length knob on the bottom. For the single level cams (orange with my model), I set the top knob to CAM and the bottom inner knob to the orange dot. To use the double level cams (green), the bottom inner knob is set on MODIFIER, between L and S. Hope this helps.[ATTACH=CONFIG]498836[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 11-15-2014, 01:09 AM

Kenmore had several different cam styles. Are you sure you have the right cams? Perhaps shoot a PM to Kenmore RulesAll for an expert consult.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Kenmore had several different cam styles. Are you sure you have the right cams? Perhaps shoot a PM to Kenmore RulesAll for an expert consult.
I wish I were an expert! Hopefully one of us can solve the problem.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by ann31039 View Post
I got this machine from a thrift mall and it sews a straight stitch and zig zag stitch just fine. I finally found a set of cams for the thing, but it is not sewing all the cams right. Any of the cams that call for the "red dot" setting do not sew the pattern. Any that are supposed to use the "white arrow" setting are doing fine. This is the first time I have ever used a machine with cams or even saw one used. So I am thinking it's me. I do have the manual and have followed the directions and rechecked settings, still no go. Any experienced "cam" people got any ideas or advice?
Hi, Ann. I have this model and I set it up and tested it. I was able to sew all the stitches, both built-in and cam.

This is a model that comes with a black metal cam. Was this included with your machine?

On my machine:

No cam, red dot: all red stitches on the Special Stitches dial.

No cam, white arrowhead: all red stitches on the Special Stitches dial.

Metal cam, red dot: all red stitches on the Special Stitches dial.

Metal cam, white arrowhead: all white stitches on the Special Stitches dial.

Single-level pattern cam, CAM setting on the Special Stitches dial, red dot: all single-level pattern cam stitches.

Single-level pattern cam, CAM setting on the Special Stitches dial, white arrowhead: all single-level pattern cam stitches.

Double-level pattern cam, CAM setting on the Special Stitches dial, white arrowhead: all double-level patter cam stitches.

(If you try the double cams, CAM setting, and the red dot, you'll get some interesting and likely unintended results.)

You say that the cams for the red dot setting don't sew the pattern. The plastic cams will produce the stitch design on the cam regardless of the red dot or white arrowhead setting of the lever as long as the Special Stitches knob is set to CAM. However, there is one exception: pattern cams are in two levels, single and double. In order to sew the patterns on the double-level cams, you'll need the lever to be set at the white arrowhead setting and the Special Stitches knob at CAM.

What's happening here is that your machine is equipped with two following arms. The white arrowhead setting of the modifier engages the upper or second arm to follow the second level of the double-level cams. If you insert a double-level cam but have the modifier at the red dot setting, you'll only be getting the part of the cam design made by the lower following arm. The lower arm is powered by the forward feed mechanism and the upper is powered by the reverse feed mechanism.

A quick note on cams:

The pattern cams are the plastic discs that come in a set. (Sets vary in number from a basic set of patterns to as many as 30, I believe.) There are various cam styles intended for different models, so make sure you have the right cam style. The ones you need are the 'C' or 'Top Hat' style cams. (I'm using the word 'style' to refer the style of cam and 'pattern' to refer to the pattern of stitches a cam produces.)
Old 11-15-2014, 03:29 AM

I do have the Type C set with 30 cams. It may be a mechanical problem. The upper arm seems to work fine at the white arrow setting, but the lower arm is not coming out at the red dot setting. It stays where it is and does not come out and touch the cam. At the white arrow setting, both arms engage properly. This one may have to go to the shop. Or wait until I go to take the repair classes next spring. I'm supposed to take @ 5 non working machines. I just wanted this one to work now! (kinda impatient)
Old 11-15-2014, 03:46 AM

Assuming you've inserted the cam properly (right side up, all the way down on the post), pop the hood and turn the wheel by hand. With your eyes, watch the cam arm and all the mechanisms that make it move left and right, up and down. Oil them all. Oil all the hinged joints with screws.