To do list - Ack!

Old 11-10-2014, 10:35 AM

Default To do list - Ack!

I should keep this with me and read it whenever I want to buy a new sewing machine.

Who else has a list?

Here's the list of all I still need to fix:
- learn how to do shellac clearcoat refinishing (and I guess repainting and decal application, too) so I can fix up Scratchy the Featherweight
- also shellac clearcoat the bedraggled 201-2 that I bought at Salvation Army because it had the stool that I wanted to go with the 42 case for the good 201-2, after I figure out how to get it unfrozen, that is - oh, and the foot pedal needs to be rewired or replaced, not to mention the veneer that's lifted around the bottom of both the cabinet and the stool (but looks in good shape...just needs to be glued down, which may not be nearly as simple as it looks)
- work on the 66 that came as kind of a package deal with the beloved Kenmore and needs a belt and who knows what else (awfully stiff, but I haven't started yet) and clean up the cabinet - this one has a knee lever, which is what my mom's had and I remember really liking them better than foot pedals
- fix and try out the 274 that I bought online thinking it would be simple for my granddaughter but then it arrived with the case smashed and I haven't been able to get the bobbin case out to clean it yet and it wasn't that interesting, so it's just been ignored on the kitchen table for months and now that I have the Featherweights, I really don't need it anymore...hmm
- fix the stitch length creep on the good 201-2 that requires taking off the handwheel to tighten something, I believe and it's working really well now if I tighten the stitch length very hard so I'm hesitant to do anything - and I want to polish it up and post a photo here
- fix the Western Electric that my husband bought (and I actually did NOT want) that needs to be rewired at the least, but the bentwood case is really pretty
- rewire the really pretty 127 that I bought sight unseen because the bentwood case was locked - and fix the finish on the bentwood case
- spend the rest of my life trying to restore the treadle Free 5 that needs to have the veneer replaced on the curved drawer, figure out how to clean and restore the cabinet finish without damaging (uh, further damaging, since I already scrubbed a little off on my very first attempt to clean it) the cool painted-on yardstick, apply the whole shellac clearcoat finish treatment that I will have learned by then and hope that the japanning doesn't just come off altogether because I really think it's rusted underneath

I counted and I only have 19 sewing machines (this may be the only place where that 'only' makes sense to anyone), including my mom's old toy 'American Girl' from the 1930s, and the modern Singer and Brother that I'm really truly going to sell.

Please post longer lists so I'll feel better!
Old 11-10-2014, 11:08 AM

That's too many things to do ......

Joe
Old 11-10-2014, 11:37 AM

My to-do list would be similar if I took the time to actually write it down. "It only needs __________ to work and look decent." adds up quickly. I'm going to get the machines I already have in order before I get any more. The budget is tight anyway so it's a good time to concentrate on fixing what I already have rather than acquiring more.
Rodney
Old 11-10-2014, 11:58 AM
Banned

I have over 30 machines so I'm not writing a list because it would be more like a book. Most of mine just need a COA so no big deal but there are a few that need some real time which I don't have right now. Three have been waiting a long time for their turn. I keep telling them someday.

Cari
Old 11-10-2014, 12:23 PM

I'm not going anywhere near a "to do" list. I pick a couple of things and try to tackle them without looking at the huge amount of everything else!

Otherwise I'd get overwhelmed and give up before I did anything.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:56 PM

I feel like I need to shop some more. I only have 10 machines and 3 of those are modern.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:54 PM

I'm giving away my project machines. Anyone in the South Jersey area looking for some additional work? I can think of better ways to spend my time. PM if interested.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 11-10-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:53 PM

I don't write lists about the hoard, I don't even count. My list would be much longer than yours. I have plenty that need work waiting in the shop and plenty that have been worked on and I haven't had time to play with yet! I try not to get involved in working on more than 3 or 4 machines at a time and each new machine brings a list of things I need to do or learn to do.

The short list is:
The Singer 99 is needing the Glenn treatment on the clear coat. It also needs me to learn to make a box so it has a home.
The Kenmore I just picked up needs general cleaning and oiling.
The Necchi clone needs some test sewing and check the tension before going to new home.

But those things are on hold while I learn to free motion on my Singer 15-125. I'd like to finish this quilt and then choose a more challenging pattern.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:07 PM

I'm with Jon. I work 3 jobs and play with my collectable machines when I need a break from reality. I should probably give them up. I have enough machines to play with at work.

Although I would really love to learn how to do the shellac and refinishing, someday.

And I want to paint a couple of my machines.

And steam-punk one.

And it would be cool to Mod-podge a machine with fabric.

Ah, man! I've got a list!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:18 PM

I don't even want to think about my list! I have lots of machines here to service and have been seriously ill (better now) so haven't done any. But I think I am at a place, health wise, where I could do at least a bit on them. I'm not as patient now as I was when I felt better and we know meching machines takes patience. Rather than service machines I'll only give away, the goal being to get them out of the house, or machines others have left with me to fix, it makes more sense to service first those that I want to use. Or does it? Maybe I should fix other people's machines first, although I'm doing it for free? What would you do?

Cricket