Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trapunto >

Trapunto

Trapunto

Old 11-25-2014, 08:07 AM

Default Trapunto

I recently attended a quilt exhibit and there were numerous examples of Tapunto. I love the look, but before I go charging into unknown territory could I ask for advice? Is it just a case of putting extra batting behind the design? That sounds too simple or maybe it isn't, will appreciate any tips you would be willing to share.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

There are several ways you can do Trapunto. The method you describe is one way to do it. Many quilters use water soluble thread to outline the motif with the batting, then cut away, then proceed with your normal sandwiching and quilting doing heavy background fill around the trapuntoed shape to get it to pop up off the surface. Then the quilt is submerged or spritzed with water to dissolve the water soluble thread so there is no evidence of your outline stitching. If you look at my posting http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...g-t256886.html I have pictured what I did. In this case I did heavy quilting in the trapunto unit so it isn't true trapunto. There are many books and tutorials that describe this particular technique in detail. Both Karen McTavish and Diane Gaudynski describe it quite well.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

That's the way I do Trapunto also only I just use a thread the matches the background fabric. I lay my applique already stitched to the background fabric, on top of batt and outline stitch it. I then use my applique scissors to trim away the extra batt and then sandwich as usual. I think I watched a Sharon Schamber video on it?
Old 11-25-2014, 01:25 PM
Power Poster

I did it the same way using wash away thread in the bobbin. Have to be so careful with trimming the excess batting.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:35 PM

Thank you ladies so much. Not more than an hr. ago, I emailed my friend and ask her how to do it. I did not know what it was called. I just have a panel that I would love for part of it to kind of pop out. She told me it was called Trapunto and there were many sites to research it. Then I came to the quilting board, and it was the first subject
item on the discussions. I always feel when something like this happens, the Lord is looking out for me.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 PM

I viewed a tutorial on trapunto, picked a design and sketched it out on a small sample piece. I then used water soluble thread to outline the design, then backed the trapunto with more batting and backing then quilted around the design.

I made a small design (a fleur de lis) just to learn the skill. I liked it so I mounted it in a 9" embroidery hoop and hung it on the wall.

Just jump in with something small!!!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:48 PM

Maybe a check on youtube might be able to offer a visual explanation.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:55 PM

I have done the fish only on some of the wall hangings I have made for my brothers. I took a netting with holes in, the netting was soft but the holes were larger then what bridal netting has. I did a basting stitch around the fish, no knots, and used a thread color that I could easily see. After I was finished with the basting, I took what I call Hallmark yarn, the fluffy kind that was used for gift wrapping, and using a large eyed needle, I pulled the yarn through the holes in the netting till I filled out the full fish, fins and all. If I needed to, I stuck the needle in and smoothed out any areas that needed it. I finished all the fish, then using a hoop with the quilt sandwich, I quilted around the fish, starting in the middle of the quilt, and working my way my way out. When I had basted the trapunto fish, I had stitched outside the fish by about one stitch line. When I was quilting the whole thing, I quilted on the lines around the fish which helped to make them stand out better. I was more pleased in doing it this way. It was so much easier. When I was quilting around the fish, I would get an area done and pull my basting threads out. My brothers were so pleased they ordered one to be chanced off. Now I found more with bass on so will surprise them with that. The bad part of all this is they do not pay me. I have 4 brothers and they think I can whip them out. Sure....