Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sylivia's Wedding Sampler >

Sylivia's Wedding Sampler

Sylivia's Wedding Sampler

Old 11-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Sylivia's Wedding Sampler

I have challenged myself to do the Sylvia's Wedding Sampler and what a challenge it is! I consider myself an intermediate quilter, but have pretty much stayed away from foundation piecing and "Y" seams. I try to do a block or so a day, but after struggling with the foundation piecing and "Y" seams on the last block I did, I may just stick to the pieced blocks. I love the looks of the quilt, but I may have taken on too much. I will continue on for a bit before I switch to blocks I feel comfortable doing. Any suggestions for making the blocks in this quilt easier would be appreciated.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:43 AM

May I suggest that instead of focusing on the blocks that you are comfortable with, perhaps searching for ways to complete the blocks that you struggle with? Clearly you chose this pattern because you like it, wouldn't it be wonderful to complete all of it and at the same time gain the skills to make those tricky blocks??

Check our guilds in your area, YouTube video's, quilt retreats, professional classes that either focus on these skill sets or are willing/able to accommodate lessons in the areas you need (there are lots of classes for paper piecing).

If you are not interested in joining a guild, be sure to ask them if they have classes coming up that would cover your topics that you could attend ... or even if they have a member who lives in your area that would be willing to do a one-on-one training session??

It can take a while to build new skill sets, finicky Y seams require patience and accuracy and paper piecing isn't immediately mastered by a lot of people (I found it's easier to learn PP by using true solids or batiks where it doesn't make a difference which side of the fabric you are using!). But once you've learned the skill ... like riding a bike ... you won't forget it and will soon be choosing other quilts that require those skills.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:15 PM

I agree with doghousemom, we get comfortable doing one thing, and fail to increase our skills. I have a longarm, and I find I do the same stipling over and over again, to avoid having to slow down and learn new techniques. This has encouraged me to stretch my skills, and take the time to get better. Thanks DogHouseMom!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:30 PM

Some of us are posting our progress on this thread, we'd love to have you join us. You can work at your own speed or do blocks that Anael posts each month. http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...w-t236858.html
I am having difficulty with the curved seams too and after stalling for a few weeks I have found other 6" blocks to sub in for them and am now looking forward to working on more blocks. I made an apple core quilt with curved seams but the blocks were so much larger, my efforts on the 6" blocks were pitiful... no matter, I'm having fun again...
Look forward to seeing your blocks.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Some of us are posting our progress on this thread, we'd love to have you join us. You can work at your own speed or do blocks that Anael posts each month. http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...w-t236858.html
I am having difficulty with the curved seams too and after stalling for a few weeks I have found other 6" blocks to sub in for them and am now looking forward to working on more blocks. I made an apple core quilt with curved seams but the blocks were so much larger, my efforts on the 6" blocks were pitiful... no matter, I'm having fun again...
Look forward to seeing your blocks.
I have been reading your link with great interest. I do feel like I have expanded my comfort zone in the last year (first full year of retirement), but realize I can go a lot further. I think the 6" blocks are the challenge. I will keep working on it.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 PM

Kaye Woods has a good video on Y seams.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:22 AM

...and a few of the blocks in that book can be re patterned ..getting the same results, cutting and sewing differently......I have book, tried a few...now ufo
Old 11-27-2014, 05:13 AM

I did this quilt and I am putting it together with QAYG. I learned so much doing the blocks and I did them in alpha order like they are in the book. When I had a problem with a particular block, I would find the answer on how to complete either from friends or on u-tube. The only way to learn. Now I am a much better quilter and I have a beautiful quilt as well! Keep up the good work and don't skip blocks. There is always help out there to get through them.
Old 11-27-2014, 10:31 AM

My first quilt ever was a GFG and done by hand, so "Y" seams are not a problem, but when I do them by machine, I sew almost to the "Y" and stop, then go back with needle and thread to properly sew them by hand since I can't seem to do it by machine very well. Basically I just do a stitch or two to finish the seam and then finish the other two seams, using a single back stitch to secure the "Y".
Old 11-27-2014, 07:18 PM

Jennifer Chiaverini sponsors a Block of the Week group with lots of helpful hints. You can join here: www.sbsbow.com/group. Lots of times the coordinator will give alternate patterns to make a block easier. (That used to be me, but I've just handed over the reins to someone new.) Great group!