Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
circle magic quilt >

circle magic quilt

circle magic quilt

Old 12-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by woody View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KeO-2Q5arM These circular sewing attachments seem to be available for most brands of sewing machines, but you might be able to make something similar
thanks for that link... i'd never seen that attachment before
Old 12-08-2014, 08:37 PM

I have that book & template ---- and I love it! After I cut the circles out ---I put them together & use the edge of my presser foot as the guide to sewing. After I turn it right side out----I use a butter knife to push the seams out to even my circle before I press it. This really seems to help. Good luck!
Old 12-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
Another tip- use a short stitch length and trim the seam fairly close before turning right side out. I use a crochet hook with a fat head- maybe a G- and smooth the inside of the seam, then press before topstitching slowly.
This is what I was going to suggest: the short stitch and trim closely using a blunt tool to run around the seam once it's turned to the right side.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:21 PM

I have made pretty large circles just using interface, sewing on the line that I drew then used pinking shears to cut the fabric as close to seam as possible without cutting it then just flipped it inside out and pressed it flat. You can use fusible or just regular I got a perfect circle each time.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Ariannaquilts View Post
I have made pretty large circles just using interface, sewing on the line that I drew then used pinking shears to cut the fabric as close to seam as possible without cutting it then just flipped it inside out and pressed it flat. You can use fusible or just regular I got a perfect circle each time.
If you were to use fusible what weight would you get? I use heat and bond light, but seems a little heavy to me.
Old 12-08-2014, 10:40 PM

I was sew some Christmas stocking that of course had curved area and I found that if I held the piece with one hand a few inches away from the presser foot and turn I got a much smoother line than hold next to the presser foot. After I finished I pressed the stocking and then trimmed to about 1/8 in. and sewed around it with a small zig-zag, turned it and using my fingers on the inside I was able to get a smooth edge.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maggie_Sue View Post
I head or saw someone tape a tack on the machine or table depending how large a circle you want. Use the tack as the center and then sew away. Have not used this myself but when I need a circle I am going to try it.
I have used this trick - it works very well as you sew a bit slower than you would usually do. It is easy to adjust the circle size!
Old 12-09-2014, 05:12 AM

Depending on your machine, you may be able to find a circular sewing attachment. I have one for my Bernina. The fabric is stuck on a pin like an upside down thumb tack and the tack slides closer or farther away from the needle. As you sew the fabric magically turns around creating a perfect circle. The tiny hole created by the tack will go away with a little rubbing or even washing.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:36 AM

The sewing tool from Janome sounds great until I realized that it would leave a hole in the fabric! Do you have to applique over that??
Old 12-09-2014, 06:45 AM

Nancy's Notions sells a circle template and a thumb tack gizmo that locks the circle in place. You can sew about 24 different-sized circles with it. Hope this helps.