Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
circle magic quilt >

circle magic quilt

circle magic quilt

Old 12-09-2014, 07:13 AM

Did you clip the seam of the curve? On an outside curve, you my need to take out tiny triangles for it to lay flat and keep the curve. https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001
Old 12-09-2014, 07:17 AM

I would get one of these gadgets but I think the tack would leave too big of a hole in the middle of the circle.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:55 AM

I use the Pellon SF101 woven interfacing for almost all my projects. I have the circle attachment for my Bernina and wasn't really happy with it, but will try again with interfaced fabric.

I also recommend sewing slowly, trimming the seams with pinking shears, and running a blunt tool around the edge after you have turned the circle right-side out. I use the rounded handle of my white Clover seam ripper.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady1941 View Post
I am starting a circle magic quilt, I bought the book and template from MSQC.. but I am having a hard time sewing a perfect circle... when I sew the circle and them turn my circle to the right side and press it, it does not look like a perfect circle it has flat place where I didn't get a good flow around when I was sewing..I am having trouble with the sewing part, is there anything that is out there or that someone had made that would be a guide for your machine that when you sewed the circle it would come out perfect or better without the flat side in places...Thanks
I have found that I get better circles if I draw them, sew slowly, and then cut around them. Slowing down the machine makes it easier to follow the line. If I am sewing a shape in a square, I cut the shape from freezer paper, then iron it to the surface, and sew around the edge, then pull the freezer paper off and reposition it for the next spot. Works for me.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

I have played with my circle tool thingy. It works fine if the fabric doesn't stretch and somewhere in that circle is some bias... Interfacing ironed on might be the ticket.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:32 AM

Directions in a pattern I bought but haven't used yet (LOL) sew, turn and DON'T press just stack and set something heavy on them. Might be worth a try.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KeO-2Q5arM These circular sewing attachments seem to be available for most brands of sewing machines, but you might be able to make something similar
terrific!!!! thanks.
Old 12-10-2014, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

The hole closes up, it only separates the threads to look like a hole.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by woody View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KeO-2Q5arM These circular sewing attachments seem to be available for most brands of sewing machines, but you might be able to make something similar
I have one of these for my Janome and love it. I don't use it often, bit when I do its worth its weight in gold. I made some very useful breast pads for my daughter using three layers of white flannel, and a scalloped decorative stitch I cut around after it was stitched. She used and washed them over and over through two babies, and loved them. Also, used it to make the folded Christmas ornaments that were suggested recently on the board. It makes life easy, and no disappointing flat spots on your circle.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:22 AM

What GEMRM said: Invert a thumbtack and placte whatever distance you want away from the presser foot. Tape it down. Press your fabric over the tack head and start sewing. The tack will hold the fabric and the presser foot will sew in a circle. I also saw it on line somewhere. I'll see if I can find it again and post the link. Try this. Cheap and effective.