Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pigma pens for quilts >

Pigma pens for quilts

Pigma pens for quilts

Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 PM

Default Pigma pens for quilts

I bought a six pack of micron pigma pens for quilt labels. But it doesn't say anything on the package about this use for them. And on an advertisement that I saw for them, it says that they are for decorating fabric but not to launder.
Did I not buy the correct micron pigma pens? They also have Sakura of America on the package.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:03 PM

Just be sure to have the ink go through the fabric to the other side. Iron to set and then it will stay through many washings, but eventually will fade and need to be reapplied.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:13 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Oh posh! Of course they can be used for labeling quilts/writing on fabric! That's all we used to use "in the old days" ....before deskjet printers (ca. 1984)....and I personally have several quilts with these labels that have been WASHED. No problems!
Jan in VA
Old 01-10-2015, 05:13 AM

Have used them as "oops" pens in machine embroidery for years. Colors the bobbin thread when a few stitched pull the bobbin thread to the top. Stuff stays on through washings.

Use them as "oops" for quilting, too. Put a couple of threads where you don't want them on quilting, the pen covers the threads. You don't see the mistake unless you put your nose in it.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:22 PM

I have used them for labels on quilts that were washed...faded. I used Sharpie makers as well...washed...faded. Both were heat set with an iron. The only ones I found, in my personal use, that did not fade are black fabric markers. I find them in Michaels/JoAnns/Hobby Lobby with the markers people use for decorating t-shirts. I like the narrow point. I have also had luck with laundry markers, but they are getting harder to find. just my opinion...

I would do some samples on fabric swatches. marked with what the pen is, whether it has been heat set and wash them repeatedly..see what works for you.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

http://www.sakuraofamerica.com/Pen-Archival
Old 01-12-2015, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Thanks for the link. I have been using these pens for about 20 years to label all my quilted items and scrapbooking.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:38 AM
Power Poster

Regardless of what ( permanent marker) you choose always test - often as long as your fabric was prewashed, with detergent, No fabric softener and the ink is heat set your writing will last. The sizing, chemicals in fabrics can keep them from being permanent, which is why prewashing is important, if you use fabric softener you are putting back what you washed out...
Old 01-13-2015, 05:51 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am also going to ask my DIL if she is going to use the quilt or display. If she is just going to display I will make it smaller and make it a wall hanging instead. I am making another quilt that I know she will use.
Thanks again!
Laurel