Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Pigma Micron thin line pens

Pigma Micron thin line pens

I have 3 packages of these micron pens that I kept stored in my sewing room. My problem...not a one of them works now, when they had before and afraid they went unused for too long evenly though they have all been tightly capped. Does anyone know if there is a way to bring them back to life. Not an inexpensive item so I would surely appreciate any advice to salvage them.

Blog Entries
    I kept mine laying flat. were yours stored with caps upright?? if so, lay them down awhile and shake too later.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    Lay then head down and wait, I have had 2 come back for a bit. I did not get as much use from them after I did this but they did work for a while. I won't make that mistake again, and I probably won't by the micron pens again. They are to costly for the limited usage.

Quote Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
    Lay then head down and wait, I have had 2 come back for a bit. I did not get as much use from them after I did this but they did work for a while. I won't make that mistake again, and I probably won't by the micron pens again. They are to costly for the limited usage.
    They may have limited usage, but when you need them, you need them. I don't know of anything that would replace them. I have had mine lying on their side for at least 20 years and they still work.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Are they still in a package? If so, there may be a phone number or email to contact them. Or google their home office and see if you can get in contact with the company to ask them.
    Nikki in MO

Microns are really fantastic pens so don't give up hope on them just yet. As others have said, lay them down on their sides or tips down for a few days and see if they revive themselves. The ink surely hasn't dried up if they haven't been opened. It's probably just the felt tip that has dried.

If they don't work after a week or so, I'd still hang on to them. The tips on a Micron can actually be interchanged. So if you have a working pen that dies, you can take the tip off (google a how to..) and salvage the ink in any that don't work.

(I am very rough on the smaller size pens and often damage the tip before I use all of the ink. So I almost always have to switch the tip with a larger size to use it all. I hate wasting good ink!)

Thank you for all the advice. nativetexan, they've been laying flat the entire time and yes the caps are on good and tight, most never used. Thank you juliasb, I'm trying that now. And NikkiLu, yes there is only an address on one package so I will write them a letter and inquire. Grateful for all of your inputs. Thank you.
    Last edited by "cat"astrophy; 08-26-2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: messed up

Blog Entries
    I tried my green and it was a bit dry but the black still good. They are years old so i didn't expect much.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"

One thing is to never apply pressure to the tip of these pens. This is why they aren't suitable for a child. One push on the tip and the pen is ruined. I don't buy them, too fussy for the price. I buy Pental Fabric Gel Roller pen. It's fantastic for writing and staying permanent on fabric. Does not bleed or fade.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    I've had my pens for years and store them in a cup with the tip pointing down. Still good. In fact I store all my pens with the tip down.
    TwandasMom

I keep mine in a zip lock bag, with the caps on and standing with the tip down, I have a mini suitcase (doll) size, and I keep it on one end with the pens inside, and I always keep one spare top, as I have lost one once.
    Quilting People are the Best, Have a great sewing day!
    DonnaJ

I've also got several (like 20) that I've had for 3-4 years and they still work fine. I keep mine stored in a ziplock bag and laying flat, and in a cupboard so totally out of any light.

I probably use mine 2-3 times a year.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Thank you everyone for all of your input and advice. I have had them all standing up with tips down, per your advice, but no inks coming out yet. Will wait and see if the address I mailed a letter to from one of the packages responds with any advice as well. Thank you again for this is such a helpful and caring blog.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    They may have limited usage, but when you need them, you need them. I don't know of anything that would replace them. I have had mine lying on their side for at least 20 years and they still work.
    Me, too, but I also use the wider point, .05, I think.
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

A big thank you to all who suggested I stand them up with the tips down. I did so the day I posted and didn't try them until today and joy of joys! They all work so far...keeping my fingers crossed they continue to do so. Have not gotten a response from the company however.

Blog Entries
    yes, .05 for signatures works well. smaller tends to drag on fabric a bit. Good luck.