Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Recommendations for Thread for New Artistic Sit-Down Long Arm >

Need Recommendations for Thread for New Artistic Sit-Down Long Arm

Need Recommendations for Thread for New Artistic Sit-Down Long Arm

Old 01-21-2015, 08:23 AM

Default Need Recommendations for Thread for New Artistic Sit-Down Long Arm

I just purchased an new 18" Janome Artistic sit-down long arm machine and had thread questions. I'm very new to long-arm quilting. I got tired of wrestling quilts on my regular machine and don't have room for a frame. I opted for the sit-down model. I doubt I will be doing anything extremely fancy for quite awhile and usually don't make anything larger than a twin size. I am very interested in hearing your recommendations and experiences on thread use. What kind is best (brand and weight)? Do you use different weights for top and bobbin? What size spool is best to buy -- or, can you quilt the top of a lap size quilt using just a 500-yd spool? I'd hate to have to buy a 2,000 yd cone if I only need it for one quilt top.

I was amazed at how pricey some of the threads were. Since I'm just starting out, I only purchased black and white. What would be next best colors to buy? Have you used any of Connecting Threads products in a long-arm. Do you have any favorite sources for thread that you would recommend?

Any hints or tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any other helpful tools I should be on the look-out for?
Old 01-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I use the Connecting Threads Essential Pro. It's a thin poly thread and my machine likes it. Thread choice is also a design choice. The heavier the thread, the more the quilting will show. Also, some individual machines are fussy. I would purchase cones in several weights, contents and brands and see which ones you and your machine like the best.
Black, White and a light grey are good colors to have on hand.
http://www.connectingthreads.com/Thr...Thread--600909
Old 01-21-2015, 10:06 AM

I would not buy a lot until you find out what thread works best for you. try several
Old 01-21-2015, 11:26 AM

I use the Metro(http://metroemb.com/store/index.php?...ory&path=20_27) machine embroidery thread to FMQ on my DSM, you can't beat their prices or customer service.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I agree with buying small amounts of different threads to try out. Preferences vary by machine and quilter!

Having said that, I recommend trying Glide thread from http://www.bobbincentral.com/quiltin...ead/glide.html . This is a thread that tends to work on any machine, and that many quilters like. It never breaks or shreds on me, and it imparts a subtle sheen that adds a little sparkle to my quilts. You can call or email the company in order to buy just one spool to try out (to bypass the minimum order requirement). This is my "go to" thread. I have dabbled with others but for most projects do not like them as much as Glide. I also love their matching magnetic pre-wound bobbins, although I also wind my own bobbins. Mine is a frame setup, but this thread works equally well with sit-downs.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:24 PM

I use CT threads for piecing and on the LA, I buy the cotton ones and mainly use natural, cream, silver (gray) black and white. I have no problems with it and the large cones go a long way.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

I would check your manual that came with you LA and see what threads they recommend.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:45 PM

I have the HQ16 and use Connecting Threads on both the top and bottom most of the time. I always use 100% cotton personally I like it most. I have not had tension problems that can occur when you use two different types of thread.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:28 PM

I use Connecting Threads top and bottom, and I have black, white, taupe, cream and tan in cones. I also use the smaller spools when I want a different colour. It performs well in my P3