Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
grmfg..taking the plunge >

grmfg..taking the plunge

grmfg..taking the plunge

Old 01-23-2015, 05:20 AM

Default grmfg..taking the plunge

I'm finally taking the plunge.....got the go baby and the hexagon die cutter and all the fabrics ready to go I searched the web on sewing them together and got a lot of info....but not to much on joining them together this is what I think.. the center then two rounds of color make a pile of those, then joining them with the back round or focus fabric (white) this is the part I'm confuse with I'm not paper piecing, machine sewing them. appreciate any tips.thanks
Old 01-23-2015, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

What size are you using?? The size is measured by the lengh of one side. Sort of hard to sew the commonly used hexagon that is 1". I think that is the size that is most commonly used. I have never tried sewing them by machine. Most of us enjoy having a quilting project we can take on the road with to places where we have to wait.

There are many variation to design layout. This was what I made from an old old quilt magazine. Still haven't gotten around to quilting it. Have fun!
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-flower-garden.jpg  
Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 AM

thanks for your reply the accu hex has 3 sizes 1inch 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 I'm going with the 2 1/2 ,your quilt is beautiful did you sew all your colored flowers first then connected them with the white ?
Old 01-23-2015, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

It's one of those patterns with Y seams. You can sew the flowers together and connects them with the background but if you are piecing them by machine, make sure you mark your 1/4 inch seam allowance corners and stop on the dot. If you sew to the edge between the pieces, you cannot pivot to do the Y seam.
This is the only patterns I would stitch together by hand myself.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Yes so much easier by hand. Like she stated; a great take along whenyou know you will have a long wait some where (drs. ofc.?) kids games.
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
It's one of those patterns with Y seams. You can sew the flowers together and connects them with the background but if you are piecing them by machine, make sure you mark your 1/4 inch seam allowance corners and stop on the dot. If you sew to the edge between the pieces, you cannot pivot to do the Y seam.
This is the only patterns I would stitch together by hand myself.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:27 AM

There are a couple tutorial's on this that might help you. http://www.favequilts.com/Block-Patt...Garden-Flowers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvCmLj8MmQk
Old 01-23-2015, 10:57 AM

Actually hand piecing and machine piecing can sometimes have different ways of joining..I, personally would not machine piece 2 1/2" hexies...find the you tube video from Kaye wood.....she has a good way of machine joining Y seams without leaving that 1/4" unsown end....

To see a good tute on hand piecing Hexies and other shapes....Sue Daley is the gal!

I have the GO and the hexie dies, I am using the one that cuts both paper pieces and fabric.....I only use the paper cutting part...bought the acrylic template from PaperPieces.com to cut the fab.....larger seam allowance. Am doing a GFG
Old 01-24-2015, 06:31 AM

After cutting your papers for the hexies, if you are sick of cutting, you can use squares, instead of cutting fabric hexies. Just add 1.5" to the size of the hexies. For instance 1" hexie (measured on the side not across) use a 2.5" square. 3" hexie = 4" square, etc. After sewing together, trim.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:12 AM
shy

I have sew many hex quilts..the sizes u are talking about..really should be done by hand..the piecing will drive u crazy with a machine..because there is no quick way to do them..it will be start and stop for every piece..the sewing distance would be so short..If u plan a bigger hex then u can do them by machine easy..I personally would not do a machine hex under 4-5 inches..good luck if u do ..do it by machine..
Old 01-25-2015, 04:27 AM

wow, looks a little daunting to me... good luck. Can't wait for you to post photos of your quilt.