Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taking the plunge!!!

Taking the plunge!!!

Our tax return will be here in a few weeks. And number one on the goody list is a Longarm machine for me.

I have decided on the Bailey's Home Quilter 13. From what I have read and heard it's the easiest one to learn on. I have the frame already, it's a http://www.hinterberg.com/stretchframe.aspx#quiltmotion

I am so excited!! Any comments on this machine from those here who have one?

Chase
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

How exciting!!! I hope you have a great time with it!

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

Banned
    Must have been a good tax return! Wish I was that lucky. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    I found this thread from a while back with some folks who have the machine.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...er-t19447.html

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    I found this thread from a while back with some folks who have the machine.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...er-t19447.html
    Nice link Ann

Thanks!!
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I don't plan on opening a business. So this is perfect for me. I can't go in to our LQS, cause for one thing I don't care for their attitudes. And second, I am one of those who has to learn on their own.

You know......Trial and error and a whole LOTTA of cursing. Kola will be wearing ear plugs......haha

This is my hobby, if I start charging, it turns into a job.
    I am retired and and have already done the business thing.

Blog Entries
    congrats!!! aBailey is on my want list. I have the hinty frame and love it. Last summer, I visited the shop where they are made an sold. the owner is a very talkative friendly guy.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Congrats on the new LA and the refund! DH and I have never had a refund. Oh well, maybe someday. I've read good reviews on the Bailey and Hinterberg has a reputation for quality.
    Got fabric?

I have a Bailey 13 on a Grace Start Right Frame. Guess I've had it for about a year, or so. I like it. Had a few problems when I first received it, and Mr. Bailey shipped out a new one and paid to have the 'problem child' returned (within the first week). I can't say enough about his customer service. From my personal experience his service is outstanding! As far as the machine, I have quilted several quilts without any problems. It does not have all the 'bells and whistles', but then it didn't cost $15k (or more) either. It's only 13 inch so it takes more rolling. It's on a Grace frame and I also like dealing w/Grace, they have exceptional service as well. The only down side to the Start Right frame is the plastic tends to break. If I were to ever start a longarm business I would definitely upgrade to a 'real' longarm, but for now, I already have a 'real' job, so the Bailey 13 is a great fit for me, and my hobby. There is also a yahoo group for the Bailey, started and moderated by a gal named Deb. You might want to check it out, it's very informative with different tricks and tips from Bailey users. Congrats and good luck!
    Last edited by kountrykreation; 05-15-2012 at 12:59 PM.

The great tax return is how I got my long arm! So congratulations! I bought a Voyager 17 with a Hinterberg stretch frame. It's been a really good machine and frame. Are you using 10 ft poles?

Blog Entries
    You will love your machine!!! I have the 17" on a Grace GMQ frame and enjoying it so much. Remember as with everything there is a learning curve and the Bailey's Group is very helpful and supportive as they are here on QB.
    Congratulations!!!
    PS: Baileys customer service cannot be beat!
    Helen T.

Quote Originally Posted by sylviak View Post
    The great tax return is how I got my long arm! So congratulations! I bought a Voyager 17 with a Hinterberg stretch frame. It's been a really good machine and frame. Are you using 10 ft poles?
    Mine came with the 8 foot poles. I bought from a really charming Lady in Bend, Oregon. I used it last week with my regular Brother sewing machine. I love it, although I found I may have to lower it a inch or two. Being 5'4" and my arms not being long enough. I had to use a foot stool to reach the on/off button....lol

Congrats on your purchase, you sound so happy, I love to hear the excitement. When I bought mine(Bailey15, stretch frame) I felt like a little kid waiting for christmas. Then it arrived and I soon was feeling buyers remorse and frustration,BUT DONT you do that. As everyone else has stated theres a learning curve. Do join the yahoo group they are very helpful. Sure we would all love the big fancy machines with all the bells and whistles and a second home for our studio, with an ocean view and Mel Gibson fixing our lunch everyday.....ooops gotta little carried away...LOL ! Someday we'll have, hopefully, some of that list but for now a Bailey is an OK place to start. Enjoy your new toy and play!

Blog Entries
    I have a Bailey 13 on a Grace frame. I got it about 7 years ago and I still LOVE it! There is a learning curve that takes some time but the Yahoo group sure helps when you have any problems. I have had no need to contact Chuck since I got mine but he was really nice when I went to see the machines before I bought it. I'm just sorry I didn't get a bigger one (either the 15 or 17 inch) but I don't think the 17 inch was out then! I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for all the replies.

My husband is just as excited about this machine as I am. I guess I could put a swear jar next to the machine.
    So when it's filled up I can go buy more fabric......

Good for you. If I had enough room I would want a George or any kind of sit down long arm just for quilting. I have two machines that I piece on and quilt on now.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    congrats, I am glad the $3K I had to PAY is going to good use!

Congratulations and enjoy!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I am happy for you-have fun learning
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Congratulatons! I am also seriously shopping but plan to take some classes, HQ Fusion with prostitch, come June to learn more before buying.
    Anna Quilts

Quote Originally Posted by tezell0801 View Post
    Must have been a good tax return! Wish I was that lucky. Enjoy!
    I was going to say the same thing -- nice tax return. Wished we would get just a little bit back.

Blog Entries
    Holy cow, what's a tax return? I think I should be part owner of that since I ALWAYS pay the IRS.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

I'm excited for you! Doing the happy dance!

Norma

Congratulations to you! As far as a tax return.......Everyone could have one, just don't under withhold. We all have to pay our fair share.......so the man says....some more than others and some less than others.......which is not fair! I get a tax return....and believe me I pay my fair share!!!

So good for you!!!!!!! Congrats to you!

She is getting a tax return!!!! Obviously because she paid more to the government in taxes than what was actually required! I am not a part owner of her machine because she is getting paid back by the government for using her money interest free! It was her money to begin with!!! Do not begrudge someone who is getting a tax refund..........she is not the reason many of us do not get a refund!!!!!!

Enjoy your machine and YOUR money that you let the government use interest free for a year!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast