Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: help with a neutral baby shower quilt?

Question help with a neutral baby shower quilt?

A friend is expecting at the end of may and they are not going to find out if its a boy or a girl because they want it to be a surprise.

i want to make a little quilt

i am thinking about using light green with small light brown polka dots

what size should i make the quilt?
    what type of batting?
    what size blocks should i use for the front?
    also is it hard to hand embroider on flannel?
    I am trying to figure out the size so i can buy the backing fabric and batting.

Thanks

Madeline

Blog Entries
    flannel is a looser weave fabric than the regular cottons we quilt with- making it even easier to sew- so embroidery is quite easy on flannel- as is applique, quilting, any needle work
    as for your other questions- it all depends-
    do you want it to be a little baby quilt? some are made about 30" x 40" (or about the size of a yard of fabric)
    do you want it to be a bit larger- like a crib quilt- something to last a bit longer? a good size is about 42" x 54"
    block size should be (complimentary to the size chosen) if a small one 4"-5" blocks are good- if larger 6"-8" work well- depends on what you choose to do-
    as for batting- polyester holds up well for lots of washings & makes nice (kids) quilts---there are some who will say 100% cotton all the way---it's up to you- if you want it to be kind of puffy/lofty poly batting is a good choice- if you want it more-flat- cotton like warm & natural works fine.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I wouldn't buy the backing until the top size has been determined. Packaged batting can be purchased in crib size.
    Also, if you are using flannel, wash it first, because it shrinks more than regular cotton.

Name:  monkey baby quilt.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  13.8 KBthis is one I just made..the fabric is Joannes "Laughing Monkey" All the fabrics came from there, the back is flannel...made a quilted bib and burpers to match...It was a simple pattern

i think i will make the quilt 42" x 56" with 7" blocks what size of fabric would i want to buy for the backing and batting size?

how much seam allow do i need to add to each block ?

what size of blocks should i use if i want the quilt to be about 42x52 or 42x56 or somewhere in between there?
    (6, 7, or 8 and that size blocks with or without seam allow)

Thanks

Madeline

Pat625 cute quilt!

The pic is not that great (from my phone) The colors are much nicer than the pic shows, and the backing flannel has white, green and brown polka dots
    The finished quilt size is about 36X50.

Name:  get-attachment.aspx.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  160.4 KBHere is a picture of one I made. It has flannel backing and warm and natural batting.

Stitchnripper that's cute too.

Pat625 you backing fabric is what i was thinking about for some of the squares and maybe for the binding.
    what size are the squares with seam allowance on your quilt?

Generally seam allowances are 1/4 inch. I would wait to buy the backing and batting until you finish the front, easier to know what size and how much fabric. You may need to add a border and then the back may be too small. Ask me how I know, LOL!!
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

Power Poster
    "how much" backing will depend on

1) What size the top is
    2) How wide the backing fabric is

How much fabric for the top is also an "it depends" question

1) How big do you want to make the top?
    2) What design/pattern will it be?

Graph paper is very helpful to me when trying to figure things like this out. Maybe it can be for you, too.

Here's my go-to baby quilt (a boy version & a girl version). I got the pattern ("Streak of Sunshine" free on Quiltville http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2005/...-sunshine.html). I love it because you can use any number of fabrics from 2 to 8, which is fabulous. I usually use 3 or 4 different fabrics (like a focus & a couple of accents). I can make one in a day (not quilted, but pieced) & it makes a nice size, too. Just a suggestion. Let us know what you decide & please share pix with us!.

Name:  colton's.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  60.6 KB
    Name:  jesse's quilt.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  31.9 KB
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

i am going to do a checkerboard pattern with light green with small yellow polka dots in 12 inch blocks and 12 inch white blocks with animals embroidered on them.

Thanks
    Madeline

I found a panel I loved that was of jungle animals on a mint green background and found a coordinating flannel for the backing. I loved making it and I would do it again. It turned out perfect.

You could always mix the blue and pink or make it a rainbow of brights or pastels. I'm not sure there is any color that would be wrong.

it's a boy she had the baby last night.
    i was hoping to have the quilt done before it was born but i still have 2 more blocks to embroider on so i guess i will have to give it to her later on.

Blog Entries
    Well since you are still working on it and she already had the baby you can add the name to the quilt label Congrats to your friend !
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !