Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   help with a neutral baby shower quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-neutral-baby-shower-quilt-t187175.html)

maddy13 04-25-2012 03:57 PM

help with a neutral baby shower quilt?

A friend is expecting at the end of may and they are not going to find out if its a boy or a girl because they want it to be a surprise.

i want to make a little quilt

i am thinking about using light green with small light brown polka dots

what size should i make the quilt?
what type of batting?
what size blocks should i use for the front?
also is it hard to hand embroider on flannel?
I am trying to figure out the size so i can buy the backing fabric and batting.

Thanks

Madeline

ckcowl 04-25-2012 04:06 PM

flannel is a looser weave fabric than the regular cottons we quilt with- making it even easier to sew- so embroidery is quite easy on flannel- as is applique, quilting, any needle work
as for your other questions- it all depends-
do you want it to be a little baby quilt? some are made about 30" x 40" (or about the size of a yard of fabric)
do you want it to be a bit larger- like a crib quilt- something to last a bit longer? a good size is about 42" x 54"
block size should be (complimentary to the size chosen) if a small one 4"-5" blocks are good- if larger 6"-8" work well- depends on what you choose to do-
as for batting- polyester holds up well for lots of washings & makes nice (kids) quilts---there are some who will say 100% cotton all the way---it's up to you- if you want it to be kind of puffy/lofty poly batting is a good choice- if you want it more-flat- cotton like warm & natural works fine.

happyquiltmom 04-25-2012 04:45 PM

I wouldn't buy the backing until the top size has been determined. Packaged batting can be purchased in crib size.
Also, if you are using flannel, wash it first, because it shrinks more than regular cotton.

Pat625 04-25-2012 04:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]330557[/ATTACH]this is one I just made..the fabric is Joannes "Laughing Monkey" All the fabrics came from there, the back is flannel...made a quilted bib and burpers to match...It was a simple pattern

maddy13 04-25-2012 04:57 PM

i think i will make the quilt 42" x 56" with 7" blocks what size of fabric would i want to buy for the backing and batting size?

how much seam allow do i need to add to each block ?

what size of blocks should i use if i want the quilt to be about 42x52 or 42x56 or somewhere in between there?
(6, 7, or 8 and that size blocks with or without seam allow)

Thanks

Madeline

maddy13 04-25-2012 04:57 PM

Pat625 cute quilt!

Pat625 04-25-2012 05:05 PM

The pic is not that great (from my phone) The colors are much nicer than the pic shows, and the backing flannel has white, green and brown polka dots
The finished quilt size is about 36X50.

Stitchnripper 04-25-2012 05:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]330568[/ATTACH]Here is a picture of one I made. It has flannel backing and warm and natural batting.

maddy13 04-25-2012 05:29 PM

Stitchnripper that's cute too.

Pat625 you backing fabric is what i was thinking about for some of the squares and maybe for the binding.
what size are the squares with seam allowance on your quilt?

AZ Jane 04-25-2012 05:42 PM

Generally seam allowances are 1/4 inch. I would wait to buy the backing and batting until you finish the front, easier to know what size and how much fabric. You may need to add a border and then the back may be too small. Ask me how I know, LOL!!