Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Gender-neutral baby quilt

Gender-neutral baby quilt

I'd like to make a baby quilt for my nephew and his wife who are expecting in July. They don't know the gender of the baby and have chosen not to find out until its birth, so the traditional pink-or-blue is off the table (non-traditional pink, blue or pink-and-blue are still on). Also, mother is extremely particular about color, so much so that I'm feeling inhibited about options. If I were a free-motion whiz, I'd go for plain white, but I'm not. Any suggestions? What about shades of white and cream? I'd like to do a pattern that looks difficult and complicated but is really easy to do. Is this too much to ask? LOL

This is my effort of a gender neutral quilt - baby due fairly soon. The first photo is from the front, and the second photo is the backing. I have just completed it, but it may be a little too colourful for you perhaps
    Name:  IMG_0002 (1).jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  119.8 KBName:  IMG_0004 (1).jpg
Views: 3044
Size:  147.9 KBName:  IMG_0001 (1).jpg
Views: 3016
Size:  136.5 KB

Power Poster
    I just finished a Falling Charms quilt that is gender neutral. I used white background and used I Spy squares for the charms. Another option is to do a simple Chevron quilt in gender neural colours.

I would use bright primary and secondary colors - blue, red, green, yellow, purple, orange. Think about a small box of crayons.

My mother has made 2 afghans for my son's future children. She is afraid she may not be able to crochet by the time he has children or she may not even be here. He said he liked bright colors over soft pastels. My mother had originally thought soft green or yellow - like what was done in the days before sonograms.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    i need a girl one for my stock, so i just did pink and purple D9P.
    How about B&W with red. babies can't see paste colors till they are older. so go for this fashion forward color. it's good for boys or girls. have fun with it. also, nowadays, parents want the B&W
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Gray and yellow seem to be very popular among new parents...don't know why, though"
    Margaret F

A friend of ours is doing the same thing - waiting for the baby to arrive, so I decided to do "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" there are panels and fabrics to match. We also got the book to go with the quilt. Another one I did, was the Trip Around the World and bought the book, "Oh The Places You Will Go." I used Sesame Street fabrics along with coordinating fabrics. When all else fails I rely on rainbow colors.

My daughter wanted me to make a gender neutral quilt for a friend's baby (even though we knew it was a girl) my daughter didn't want the stereotype - that one I did Old MacDonald's farm - I used the embroidery designs from Embroidery Library and red gingham as sashing. (The inspiration was her grandparents owned a farm in No.Cal.)

I think my next one is going to be more of a zoo theme.

Super Member sewingitalltogether's Avatar
    I'm surprised that the young people are going for a dove grey color, a light grey-green color, and some for the turquoise and orange combination. I also made a baby quilt with little bears (Brown). Lots of color choices.

Maybe she could decide on a background color and pick out a few FQ's to go with it?

I have always liked this site for baby quilts. Ribbon box is my favorite, but there are a few nice, easy ones that do not require too much "color" fabric. http://cloud9fabrics.com/projects/make-it-sew/

I like the "bright box of crayons" someone mentioned, as a parent who had surprises (we didn't want to know) I got lots of green and yellow which was lovely. I also like themes like jungle, zoo, under the sea, those are all very beautiful and neutral. Grey is very trendy now, I've seen tons of grey with almost any color alongside. You could ask about favorite things, I made a Star Trek blanket for a friend who was having a surprise and loved Star Trek.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    This is my effort of a gender neutral quilt - baby due fairly soon. The first photo is from the front, and the second photo is the backing. I have just completed it, but it may be a little too colourful for you perhaps
    Name:  IMG_0002 (1).jpg
Views: 3073
Size:  119.8 KBName:  IMG_0004 (1).jpg
Views: 3044
Size:  147.9 KBName:  IMG_0001 (1).jpg
Views: 3016
Size:  136.5 KB
    looks good to me
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    How about asking nephew's wife if she has a color preference?

That might spoil the surprise - but in my family - if I get something done - that's the surprise!

Of if not a preference, what she actively dislikes?

Thanks for your replies. I should have mentioned that I would like to make a geometric-design quilt rather than one with pictures on it.

I like many of the color combinations mentioned here, especially the orange (salmon) and blue (teal). Makes me think of Miami for some reason.

What about mixing white and ivory? Too boring? Does the white make the ivory look dirty?

I've never been much for trends, in fact I probably put too much energy into avoiding them, so gray (or its British counterpart, grey) gets moved down the list.

The information that babies don't initially see pastels persuades me to use them. A beautiful palette of pastel tones that the baby grows, over time, to see and appreciate seems like just the ticket. I found a beautiful quilt with rows of multi-color disks about 2-3" in diameter on a white background, but there were no instructions with it. Any idea how to find them?

I'm not worried about spoiling the surprise so much; it's just that asking color preferences, while that would be a good idea with most people, wouldn't accomplish much with someone this particular. I might get the wrong shade of the right color. That's why I'm leaning toward shades of white.
    Last edited by Manalto; 05-09-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Black and white with red would work great.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

We did the same thing when I was pregnant with my son and got lots and lots of green and yellow. I wish someone had given us something neutral. Babies grow to little kids so fast that nursery colors don't seem to fit for long. Just my 2 cents.

I'd go with neutrals shades of ivory, winter white, beige. I made a quilt for my sister who loves neutrals and it turned out great.

I used this as inspiration: http://www.southernfabricblog.com/mo...eutrals-quilt/
    Happy quilting everybody!

I would ask the mom what colors she would like, especially since she is particular about color. If you don't want to do the other option is to look up their baby registry. Most parents have those and many are on-line. This should give you ideas for colors she likes or even a theme for baby's room which would help a lot.

Some really lovely ideas on that blog. Thanks homefrontgirl.
    Last edited by charley26; 05-09-2017 at 01:41 PM.

I would use bright happy playful baby fabric. Or something you think mom will approve of.

Quote Originally Posted by charley26 View Post
    Some really lovely ideas on that blog. Thanks homefrontgirl.
    Ditto. Subtle, quiet, understated tones of white and neutrals it is!

Sounds like you want to do something in muted neutrals like Japanese Taupe fabrics. Pinterest has loads of neutral quilts you can look at for inspiration.

Here are Japanese Taupes
    https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...4933&term_meta[]=japanese%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=taupe%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined&term_meta[]=quilts%7Cautocomplete%7Cundefined

And this search was just neutral quilts

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pin...yped&term_meta[]=neutral%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=quilts%7Ctyped'

I love this one for a gender-neutral baby quilt. You can pick your colors, and construction is just a tone of HST.

http://newlywoodwards.com/wp-content...one-quilt1.jpg

My niece and her husband are due in September and not finding out the gender either. Darn it! My go-to is yellow or green - she requested gray and yellow (their wedding colors), and I just made this one that she loves - just bright colors. Good luck and enjoy!! ~smile~
    Roseanne Name:  Gus.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  108.8 KB

Thanks! Recently I did a bathroom renovation and was surprised when I got to the tile store - there is no color, all neutrals. The same story at the flooring store. I suspect this fashion is a product of people thinking more about when they're going to sell their houses than how they plan to enjoy living in them. I promised myself at that point to use and appreciate color, so I feel like something of a hypocrite here, however this is a tough case.

I tend to not make 'baby' quilts per se, but more 'toddler' quilts. I've done muted but I've also done (and tend toward) more vibrant colors. I also like the idea of red; white; black for a baby quilt.

A quilt that I did for an older niece was a mixture of HST's and plain (background fabric) squares and set as a 'kite tail' flying through the air. I had particular color requests for that one but you could do any combos with that kind of pattern since you said you were looking for geometric shapes. Just a matter of spinning the HST's around to get the 'kite tail' movement.

Personally I'm not a fan of mixing white with beige but that's me. I've also done very pastel. The background on the latest was a white/grey combo and I picked other fabrics that had a bit of that along with pinks and greens as it was definitely for a girl. Very soft looking.

Quote Originally Posted by suern3 View Post
    I would ask the mom what colors she would like, especially since she is particular about color. If you don't want to do the other option is to look up their baby registry. Most parents have those and many are on-line. This should give you ideas for colors she likes or even a theme for baby's room which would help a lot.
    My thoughts exactly. You could get the exact colors and theme if they have a registry. Or see if she has Pinterest boards that give you her color plan.

I'd hesitate to make a white/ivory quilt because it'd get dirty in a heartbeat. You want the baby to use it for every occasion--floor, car, bed, etc, I assume. A drag-around quilt as opposed to a wall hanging?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast