Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Civil War fabric help >

Need Civil War fabric help

Need Civil War fabric help

Old 01-23-2015, 12:05 PM

Default Need Civil War fabric help

Hi, everyone! This is my first post here but I've been lurking for a few months now. I recently started quilting again after being away for over 13 years. So I'm not a new beginner but I love the quilts that are good for beginners. Squares, rectangles etc. I like all the bright colors. Kaffe Fassett is one of my favorite designers.

I fell in love with this Best Friend quilt I found elsewhere on this site.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...y-t259854.html

I want to make it for my best friend but I'm out of my element because her favorite fabrics are the civil war prints. Does anyone who likes these kinds of fabrics have a favorite collection that's out now? If you could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.

Her favorite color is blue.

Last edited by stlkeeler; 01-23-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-23-2015, 12:47 PM
Power Poster

You might want to Google Civil War fabric to see what is new out in the market. Very nice pattern. Hope you can handle those diamonds. It is hard to sew what we don't care for personally but the friendship you share should get you thru it. GOOD LUCK!!
Old 01-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Windham fabrics, Moda ( Ladies Album) Jo Morton fabrics, the fat quarter quilt shop carries many- there are literally tons! Fabric.com, just visit the shops and put ( reproduction fabric in the search box, many lines will come up.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

There are SO MANY Civil War reproductions available!! Moda, Marcus, Wilmington, and Windham all make them. You might try this link to a goodly number to look at.

http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/SHOP...uction-Fabrics

Jan in VA
Old 01-23-2015, 02:29 PM

My very first quilt was with Jo Morton fabrics and her color sense is spot on. You can practically use any blues in her line of fabrics and they go together. I ended up using a couple of dozen diverse fabrics together and it looked totally coordinated. I cannot think my experience is unique and believe strongly that her fabrics would work well for you.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:01 PM

I LOVE Jo Morton, too! She's the best!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks everyone! I will go shopping when I get off work later. (I'm on my phone)

I don't think I'll have a problem making this for her. The diamonds are paper pieced. I have a little experience with those. They don't look too hard.

Anyway she has become my long arm quilter. I know she won't accept payment so I need to find some way around her. I hope this is it. We live across the country from each other. But she is one of those friends that even though we hardly ever see each other when we do get together it's like we've never been apart. It will be a pleasure to make something special for her.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:13 PM

Ok I couldn't wait til I got home. I searched for Jo Morton on the Fat Quarter Shop. I like most of her fabrics. There's not many blue ones but I can get around that. I don't really see any light fabric that reads as solid for the background of this block. I was thinking a cream tone on tone? I want to use the same fabric for all the diamonds and scrappy for the squares. Will there be enough contrast in the squares if I use a bunch of small scale prints or should I get larger prints/plaid too?

One more question. Do you think say 20 fat quarters will be enough for a good size lap quilt? I don't have a lot of experience with all these pre-cuts/bundles. They didn't exist when I was quilting before.

Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-23-2015, 06:06 PM

There are a number of quilt shops below the Mason Dixon line (US) where Civil War fabrics are a standard collection. If you are in that area, stop in a few shops to see what you fancy.

I have worked online with a few shops that emailed photos of fabric lines and worked with me to make a kit for a specific pattern I wanted.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:12 PM

That's a beautiful quilt. I hope you post pictures when you have yours done!