Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another local quilt store closing >

Another local quilt store closing

Another local quilt store closing

Old 02-06-2015, 06:17 AM

Default Another local quilt store closing

One of our local quilt shows went out of business in October, and another is closing March 1. This just makes me so sad. Deciding to shut down has to be such a hard decision.

I will be going to Day 3 the going-out-of-business sale today, and I have mixed feelings about it. I know the owner of the store and really like her. (same was true of the other store's owner) I feel sort of like a vulture, buying fabric from her at really reduced prices, yet I know her goal is to clear the shop.

This shop has always carried fabric that I just love, and I half hope she has a lot of it left. I may just go fabric crazy, even told my husband I might double my stash. He said "Go ahead." I was kidding, but....hmmmmm.

Am I the only one who sort of feels guilty at a closing-of- business sale?

Dina
Old 02-06-2015, 06:23 AM

I don't feel guilty, but I do get regretful and melancholy if it's a store I liked. I suppose I might feel a little guilty if it's a store I never went to until they were closing out, but not if I didn't go there for a REASON (like bad service or outrageous prices).

In this case...you're helping this lady out by taking home fabric so she doesn't have to. If I imagine myself in her shoes, at this point I think I'd just want it all to be over and done with so I could move on to something else. Think of it as converting excess "stuff" into cash for this lady for her next adventure and maybe that'll feel better?

Sorry you're losing another local shop, but I hope you find some good deals!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:31 AM
dd

We just had one open close to us. Hope it works out for them. They have a Walmart just down the road that has a large fabric department. So sad when they close. One near us in the opposite direction just closed but she re-opened as a work room, giving classes and selling the kits for the classes.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:37 AM

I had a friend in MD that closed her shop. Once she made up her mind she wanted it DONE. She was grateful for her friends buying the inventory. She could not compete with Joannes.

As fabric keeps getting more and more expensive I think this will become more commonplace--sadly. We have so many in Phoenix I cannot fathom how they stay in business. I know they make most of their money on classes.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:46 AM

Thanks, I will be leaving with friends in about half an hour to go to this quilt shop. It is in the country, actually in a building they built next to their home just for the shop. She has been in business at least 12 years, as that is when I moved here. Not sure how long she had been open before then.

But, your words have helped me. I am helping her by buying, and certainly helping my stash.

Dina
Old 02-06-2015, 08:57 AM

Yes I do feel guilty also but she is getting way more from you than if she has to sell it elsewhere and if she is selling it she needs to get rid of it. Where in TX are you?
Old 02-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

NO, I felt the same way, very sad. But if we don't support our LQS, their sales go down and they are forced to close. NOW I have no choice but to shop online for my fabrics. Two new stores have opened up but can't get to them by bus. One has very modern fabric whihc is not my cup of tea.

THINK BARGELLO when you shop Dina !!!
Old 02-06-2015, 12:15 PM

I am in Wichita Falls, and her shop is about 20 miles NE of town. It is called Mr. Sweeny's Country Quilt Shop. If you are close enough to go, google it for the location and her hours. It is a bit tricky to find, and she isn't open every day. Not all of her fabric was on sale yet, but I did buy 22 fabrics (!!!!) at 40% off. It was very busy there, as all 8 customers were buying as much fabric as I was... Turns out she plans to be open until the end of March, unless she is out of fabric by then.

Dina
Old 02-06-2015, 01:31 PM

It is so sad, I agree. The small retailers have really been hard hit since the economy collapse and they just haven't come been able to come back yet. Don't feel like a vulture though. She needs to get rid of that stuff ASAP. You'll be saving her more money and heartache in the long run.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:09 PM

I feel bad when a local business is going out sale they are great when you need fabric right then I wouldn't feel guilty for buying fabric at the sale because it will go to use.