Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fusible interfacing >

Fusible interfacing

Fusible interfacing

Old 02-10-2015, 09:39 AM

Default Fusible interfacing

I'm getting ready to start a small project similar to paperpiecing that uses lightweight fusible interfacing as a foundation rather than paper. I've done lots of paperpiecing, but never with interfacing. If you're familiar with this method, what brand of interfacing have you used?
Old 02-10-2015, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I have usually used the featherweight Pellon available at JAF. I am always concern with adding any weight to a quilt top.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:11 AM

I've never used fusible interfacing as a foundation, I do use the lightweight fusible interfacing for applique. Used a lot when I made my Sunbonnet Sue quilt. Exactly how are you supposed to use the fusible as foundation?
Old 02-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Check to be sure it is suppose to be fusible. Unless this is a new technique I can't see how fusible will work without being a big mess.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Check to be sure it is suppose to be fusible. Unless this is a new technique I can't see how fusible will work without being a big mess.
It's new to me, too, and I had the same thought. It's from the April, 2013 Quilter's World magazine. I got it from the magazine itself, but I just googled it and there's a free pdf version of the pattern on line. Here's the link:

http://www.quiltersworld.com/webbonu...mingTulips.pdf.

I just went to the pdf version and it only provides the template -- not the pattern itself. I read through the instructions and apparently you sew through the interfacing the same way you would with paper then press it instead of tearing it off. It's for a wallhanging, so the weight of the interfacing wouldn't matter.

Last edited by katybob; 02-10-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 PM

I use featherweight pellon but not fusible. Did a string quilt with it and it was great.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

I think a couple people who responded are confusing the fusible interfacing with the paper backed fusibles used for applique. I have used this technique many times -- Quilt Smart has a whole line of great patterns using printed fusible interfacing. It is a great way to achieve precise shapes, projects. I've done 2 or 3 lone Stars using the quilt smart interfacing, and the game quilts are wonderful. Choose a lightweight fusible interfacing. Visit the quilt smart website they have some hints & tips that might help. I don't know what your project is so can't help to explain the process. But, with the lone stars or the water color quilts you line the pieces up on the interfacing, press them then fold & stitch.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:35 PM

I've used both fusible and non fusible light weight interfacing in numerous quilts for several years mainly for scrappy string quilts. The original instructions for my first string quilt used muslin as the foundation but I found that it made the finished quilt too heavy. The light weight interfacing added little overall additional weight and didn't change the hand of the finished blocks in any great degree.
I just finished remaking a heavily, much loved, ten year old hand appliqued Overall Sam quilt for one of my grandsons. Since I wanted to preserve the original blocks, I fused the back of each with the light weight fusible interfacing to strengthen them. Although, the quilt will be retired from daily use, packed away as a keepsake or used as a wall hanging, other than having to replace the original sashing, borders and binding, it is otherwise original. My, now sixteen year old grandson, was due for a quilt more age appropriate, which I'm almost finished making, but is thrilled to still have the original too.
One note of caution. Make sure you stitch the fabric to the fusible side of the interfacing and carefully press to avoid letting the iron touch the interfacing or use a non-stick pressing cloth.
Hope this has been helpful. Have fun.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:44 PM

You're right, ckcowl. I made Quilt Smart's lone star quilt several years ago and I'd forgotten all about it. It was a really easy way to make a pretty tough pattern. I would have sworn that the pattern called for paper-backed interfacing, but I just looked at it again and it doesn't. Duh! I should have realized that sticky on both sides would never work!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

I forgot about QuiltSmart too! Too many products and techniques to remember. I have made many Mondo Bags using this technique and it never clicked it was the same.