Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you pick your colours >

How do you pick your colours

How do you pick your colours

Old 02-10-2015, 06:41 AM

Default How do you pick your colours

Hi everyone from Canada

I,m just a quilting grass hopper.
Have done one quilt and started a second one.
Here is me question how in the world you all you guys make your colours match up ?
I have never seen a quilt on here that i did not like the material colours.
When I go to look at material I end up just looking at solid and not sure that to get with some design in it.
So what,s the trick ?
Is there some where I can see different material on my computer.
Thanks every one
Tom
Old 02-10-2015, 06:50 AM

I have been told I just have an eye for color. But, if you don't you can use the dots in the selvage of your fabric. Pick a nice print that you may use on a border and there should be enough color dots for you to choose which color you want put into your quilt. I am not too fond of solids as they get boring if you have too much. Choose different scales of prints. Large, medium small and one that reads as a solid. Line up your bolts and stand back. They look different in smaller pieces and from a distance than if you hold each separate. Then again you can always choose fabrics that are in a particular line made to go together.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:57 AM

If I'm feeling uninspired I look for a fabric that has colors that appeal to me and use that as a starting point for my palette. I don't even necessarily buy or use the initial fabric, it's just for inspiration and ideas.

Learning a bit about color theory might help too; there are certain relationships that work well together on the color wheel and once you learn those it helps make it a lot easier to decide what "goes" together.

I mostly rely on my own intuition and taste, though. I lay some fabrics together and I can just tell if one isn't playing nice with the rest; it stands out and just doesn't look quite right. I think most people have this ability, they just don't trust their own intuition! Don't second-guess yourself too much. If you like it, you like it, go ahead and use it! And if you don't...try something else until it clicks!
Old 02-10-2015, 06:59 AM
Power Poster

I usually pick a focus fabric and then look for fabrics that coordinate. I might be lucky since I took so many design classes in college.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I have been told I just have an eye for color. But, if you don't you can use the dots in the selvage of your fabric. Pick a nice print that you may use on a border and there should be enough color dots for you to choose which color you want put into your quilt. I am not too fond of solids as they get boring if you have too much. Choose different scales of prints. Large, medium small and one that reads as a solid. Line up your bolts and stand back. They look different in smaller pieces and from a distance than if you hold each separate. Then again you can always choose fabrics that are in a particular line made to go together.
Thanks cjsews
So fabric that are a particular line ?
Well the sales people help at the store to tell me what line is made to go together.

Maniacquilter2 what do you mean focus fabric ?

Sorry for all the questions
Tom

Last edited by piker6ca; 02-10-2015 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:18 AM

Fabric companies like moda have fabrics that are all coordinated. These can be found at quilt stores or on line. A focus fabric is a print that you want to be the highlight of your quilt
Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 AM

I'm fortunate to have a decent stash to pick from so once I decide on the colors I start pulling fabrics off the shelf. Then I line them up on the cutting table in the order I think I want them and leave them there for a couple days or more. I'll walk past the table and stop to look at them to see if I still like them as they are or move them around or even add/subtract from the pile. Am working on a couple log cabin lap quilts right now which I used this plan of attack. Even yesterday while cutting the strips I changed the order around. Most times this works for me.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I also look at the dots on the selvage edge. But if there aren't any, I bring Mother Nature into play. I used to be a hairdresser and that helps me. You may find a fabric that you don't like the print but you do like the colors in it. Often you can use that as your guide. I have often grabbed the shopping cart and headed to the batiks to see different colors that would meld and play nice and not use the fabric. Prints like different paisleys are great for this. Works for me. I'm sure there will be others with great ideas.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:02 AM

I love colour and have always admired Jinny Beyer's work. Here is a video describing her method of choosing fabrics that you might enjoy. Years ago I did have her palette but it was a very old one and I never updated the fabrics in it, so gave it away eventually. You could make a similar item yourself with paint chips. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9xV73VpccA

Maybe Craftsy has a class on colour? Here's another blog that has some helpful hints. http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2013/...c-virtual.html

Last edited by thimblebug6000; 02-10-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:37 AM

I label myself as "color challenged." I usually have a great deal of trouble being happy with my fabric selections. Because of that, many of my quilts are shades of one color. I can be very happy with that. It might be an idea for you, at least for the moment. I also like to use white with shades of one color... Everything goes with white.

Dina