Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to use to draw on with crayons then set onto fabric >

What to use to draw on with crayons then set onto fabric

What to use to draw on with crayons then set onto fabric

Old 02-10-2015, 09:32 PM

Default What to use to draw on with crayons then set onto fabric

I have some Crayola fabric wax crayons that I would like to let kids use to do drawings. I then want to iron the drawings onto fabric. Other than drawing directly on the fabric and then heat setting, is there something that can be used, like maybe freezer paper... or maybe just plain paper would work???
I've looked online but can't seem to be able to find anything. Any ideas would be welcomed.
Thanks!
Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chester the bunny View Post
I have some Crayola fabric wax crayons that I would like to let kids use to do drawings. I then want to iron the drawings onto fabric. Other than drawing directly on the fabric and then heat setting, is there something that can be used, like maybe freezer paper... or maybe just plain paper would work???
I've looked online but can't seem to be able to find anything. Any ideas would be welcomed.
Thanks!
USE plain old copy paper. I'm surprised the directions didn't state that.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 PM

As Annie said, copy paper. Make sure they colour it in well, as some colour gets lost in the process. Also, remember any writing will be mirror imaged. Have fun!!x
Old 02-11-2015, 07:47 AM

Thanks! I didn't think just plain paper would work as I thought the wax would melt through the paper once ironed.
Onto the project!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:15 AM

There's a little short blurb on their site on how to use fabric crayons that might interest you. http://www.crayola.ca/things-to-do/h...d-crayons.aspx You have to scroll down to the correct topic.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:28 PM

I was surprised that they said it must be 100% synthetic fabric for the color transfer to be permanent.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 AM

I've done the opposite. I iron freezer paper on the back of the fabric. Then,I trace the child's design onto the fabric with a thin black fabric pen. Have the child color in the design with Crayolas. Peel the freezer paper off. Layer the fabric beyween a good sandwich of plain white paper towels and heat set until no crayon is transferred to the paper towels. The freezer paper helps stabilize the fabric to keep it from shifting while coloring. Remember if you do the iron on approach, your design will be reversed. I've used the white fabric from WalMart. I think it's called Roclon.