Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall >

Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall

Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall

Old 02-17-2015, 06:04 AM

Default Ideas for displaying small quilt at a craft fair space without wall

Hi everyone,
I attended my first craft show in last November and loved the experience! I had a wonderful time chatting with every one (visitors and other crafters) and I want to do it again this year.
My sales were not spectacular (I barely covered my fees) but I had no real expectations on this matter (it was my first ever selling experience). Because most of my products were baby and children related, and the average visitors were up to 60's, I was kind of not really at the right place.
I found and registered for a children specific craft show next May and I want to bring my baby quilt (I made about a dozen of small ones for crib and car seat and didn't sold any). I will be the only one who will be offering this kind of products (other sewn item sellers are more into pacifier clips, bibs and cloth diaper) so it`s worth a try.
My main problem is how to display my quilt in the booth. In November, I had a very large booth so I was able to display all my quilt on a large rack made by my husband.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]510559[/ATTACH]

But for the craft show in May, I have the following restrictions:
-I only have a 8 X 5 feet space
-I'm backside with another exposant, so I have no wall to hang anything.
-I only have 1 1/2 hour before the opening to set up my table
-I will be alone (DH watching the kids!)

I don't know how to display my quilt this time (a pile of folded quilt on a table would not work).

Some of you may have set up a booth/table with similar restriction; how did you made it? I need some ideas! I found many ideas on Pinterest for displaying small items, but nothing like quilt/blanket.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails salon_brossard.jpg  
Old 02-17-2015, 06:15 AM

I've seen quilts hanging or stacked on a ladder before, but that might not be helpful with your space limitations.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:20 AM
Power Poster

Could you make a rack from PVC that has rungs like a ladder on both sides and stand it where quilts could be displayed on both sides? The rungs could be made from dowel rods. I have this all drawn out in my head, hopefully you get the idea.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

First I would get rid of the standard table set up. They tend to block people from getting up close and personal at a show ... and in doing so, I truly believe they block sales!
IF baby is your theme, then I see you setting the stage with three pieces of furniture ... a crib, a small dresser and possibly a change table.

It will take a lot of organization and planning, but with some prep at home along with practice set ups, you can do it! The time restraints make it quite difficult ... you need to be organized and practiced the set up several times in advance. The quickest and best way to accomplish it will be to have extra bodies to help you, to make sure you can meet the time limits.

Is there a fast assemble baby crib? Or bring it assembled and just carry in, as such.
I visualize, quilts folded and hanging over the edge. It would give people easy accessibility to touch and feel ... which I suspect would encourage sales, rather than a static display with the "no touch" feel!
Extras can easily be inside the crib.
Perhaps an extension could be created to mount on the long side of the crib, and give you height for more hanging space.

I also see a small dresser, that could be carried in, with the drawers filled. High enough, so you are not stooping all the time, and so that you can work off it, as your "Office". It would have whatever supplies you need (invoices, bags, tools for set up, etc). If you have smaller items for sale, extras could be stored in there.

The third might be a baby change table .... again to set and drape your items.

Have things bagged/labelled before you leave home, so that you know exactly where they go at set up time, without having to think, what is going to look better.

Bonne Chance!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 AM

I have used a portable clothing rack (like you would hang coats on with hangers) - get some skirt/pants hangers and put two quilts back to back on each one, so people can flip thru them. Your first display is just lovely BTW!!
Old 02-17-2015, 07:12 AM

Maybe one of those drying racks, made with wooden dowels, like I use to dry delicates instead of putting them in the dryer??

http://www.walmart.com/ip/15819208?w...235792&veh=sem

Dina
Old 02-17-2015, 07:35 AM

You must have a display against the back of your booth to block the customer's line of sight to the booth behind you.
Get 2 5' ladders and some pvc to go between the 2. I think pvc for 2 steps would be enough. You will need something to hold the pvc in place so it doesn't shift around...I used 2 nails into the step with enough room for the pvc in the middle.
I believe since it is baby related, that you might want to paint the ladders white.
Instead of a standard banquet table in the front of your booth, use a skinny table...2' X 4'...put this in front but over to the side of the booth so that customers have plenty of room to walk in to admire and purchase the quilts. I use 2 of the skinny tables on a 90 degree angle from each other and the other goes down the side of booth. Then you start to build your table display. You could use a small step ladder or those wire square shelves that could be pre assembled at home with cable ties so they don't fall apart on you. I put full baskets in these for transport and then can just park on table. The baskets I use are white wicker Easter baskets that I picked up after Easter several years back.

You have the right ideas...just go for it. I also make myself a map of my display so that if my brain goes dead...I can still continue to hurry up and get it done. Another little trick is to have your cart loaded and ready to go in the door when the doors open. I hate short set up times...
Old 02-17-2015, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

I would go and check out for any used photo rods that are used in displaying quilts. You can see one in the photo on the far left. They are adjustable width size. Have your display pre-hung Like in the photo you posted) so when you get there, all you have to do is attach the top item to the frame. Then have a small folding table and chair sitting on the side as suggest above. People will come up and compliment you on your workmanship. Always wanted to put out a used tuna can out for tips.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:36 AM

have had displays at craft fairs. What I've learned is first, Do Not set your display tables so as to block them from coming into your space. I have 3 display tables and I set them up in an upside down U fashion. Next to the ends, you can set up a ladder or some other sort of rack to display your items. I had quilts laid out on the tables along with baby bibs and crib quilts and lap quilts and candles. When you have a set up as I have described, this invites the folks to walk into your area and look. then you can talk with them and tell them a bit on how you make your quilts or the batting you use etc. I sold one single bed size quilt and a few baby bibs back in November. With spring coming-it should be a better time hopefully. Maybe invest in some strong pvc pipes and set up a partitian between you and the person behind you or aside of you. You can hang your quilts from that piping. I like the dowel idea mentioned above. Good luck .
Old 02-17-2015, 09:07 AM

Do you know who will be in the booths behind and adjacent to you? I'm wondering if you can work with them and together come up with some kind of arrangement that benefits everyone.