Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fons and Porter sewing sashing method >

Fons and Porter sewing sashing method

Fons and Porter sewing sashing method

Old 10-12-2019, 10:20 AM

Default Fons and Porter sewing sashing method

Looking for post about Fons and Porter sewing sashing and cornerstones in an L shape to blocks. Have searched but not finding it. Did a search on YouTube and no luck. This great group usually has an answer. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:28 AM

I don't know about Fons and Porter but there are many of us here who prefer to put on our sashing as an L around the block if we can.

Happens that my most recent project and my current project have what I call "two long unwieldy strips" method of sashing, not all techniques work for all projects.

Are there specific things you want to know, or just that there was a good thread on it?

Edit: Knowing that I do use the term "long unwieldy" I did find this recent thread, still no mention of Fons and Porter.
How do you add sashing to your quilt?

Last edited by Iceblossom; 10-12-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:42 AM

Thanks. I was wrong about Fons and Porter. Followed your link and that is the answer to my question. The Valerie custom quilting site link posted there is just what I was looking for. Thanks so much.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:59 AM

I do recall this method being demonstrated on a Fons and Porter show recently
Old 10-14-2019, 03:17 AM
Power Poster

I learned that technique in a class a long time ago and it really is easier for me. When the instructor told us to do it and then she said don’t square up the blocks we all said “what????” And she said “trust me”’ so we did and we all had perfectly square blocks and quilts. Couldn’t explain it then and can’t now!!!
Old 10-15-2019, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

This L sashing method use to be in the very old Workbasket magazines along with setting ideas. Not much is new anymore just rethought. LOL My favorite is to add L sashing strips, no corner stones, to side and bottom of each block. Rotate the blocks to have sashing on top of one, on bottom of the other block. The second row will be opposite. This setting adds a lot of movement to a square block quilt. I think Bonnie Hunter has this way of setting as a free pattern on her blog or use to.