Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting group >

Quilting group

Quilting group

Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 AM

Default Quilting group

There are some community ladies that are wanting to form a quilting group. Out of 20, there are only 2 of us that do a quilt from start to finish. The others range from non sewing (don't even know how to thread a machine) to sewing a few garments but not any quilting. Their plan is to make a simple 9-patch quilt and hand quilt it. Now all this is fine and dandy, but the non sewers expect the two that can quilt to sew all the blocks and put it together. So question:
1. Would it be more beneficial to those non sewers to start at the beginning and learn the basics? Start with a simple pattern with a simple table runner/topper instead of a queen sized bedspread?
2. Is it "fair" for the two sewers to do all the work for all the others?
This is the first time I have been involved with a group sewing project. And it's not that I am above working with these gals, but it seems to me if you want to learn to quilt, you start at the beginning. The have NO idea the amount of work that quilting entails. Helpful hints would be appreciated. If my thoughts are wrong, please be gentle. Thanks.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:05 AM

If they are joining a 'quilting group' then it would seem logical that they be expected to learn how to quilt which includes, but is not limited to, selecting fabric and pattern, cutting fabric, piecing, basting, quilting and binding. If they don't want to learn these things then I would question their reasons for joining or forming a quilting group. Yes, some people excel in certain areas and that is what they may want to focus on, but to expect 2 members of the group to do all the work except the hand quilting sounds somewhat off to me.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 AM

In my mind there are 18 people who are just looking for a reason to go somewhere, not learn a new skill......hand out a list of supplies needed and see how fast the group dwindles........
Old 02-24-2015, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Every one should be responsible for making their quilt from start to finish. Have a class and demo for each step and they are on their own to do the work. To me, a group is being able to sew together, get help when needed, and to socialize. I would set the guidelines if I was expected to be the 'pro'. Someone has to be the lead for the beginners.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:15 AM

I agree. I cannot understand why anyone would form/join a quilting group if your intention was not to learn the basics, improve your skills and make your own quilts/quilted projects. Of course there is the "social" aspect, by that is a by-product, not the primary goal........and i would also think that each person would have their own (small to begin with) project.
My reaction to your description of their "expectations" was a feeling that I would want to back slowly but firmly away.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I don't know the ages of these women but there are some women that may just be seeking companionship. I am a member of two groups not exclusively quilters. I enjoy both of them. We make items for ourselves and charity. I would check out EB Quilt in a Day because she is an excellent teacher for beginners. You might want to look at something simpler than a 9 Patch pattern since seams need to be match with seam accuracy.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:56 AM

There must be some interest on their part to join a quilting group. I'm with Onebyone they made need some elementary instructions. The first pattern may need to be small and simple. Good luck maybe you will help create 18 new quilters.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by schoolteacher View Post
Their plan is to make a simple 9-patch quilt and hand quilt it. Now all this is fine and dandy, but the non sewers expect the two that can quilt to sew all the blocks and put it together.
It doesn't sound like their plan is to make a 9-patch quilt. It sounds like their plan is for you to make a 9-patch quilt that can then be quilted by the group. So apparently they don't want to learn to sew/piece, they just want to learn to hand quilt? I wonder why? I would put forward the idea that it makes sense to first learn how to construct a quilt if you want to learn how to quilt a quilt.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:33 AM

I agree with everything everyone else has said. A small project like you mention - table runner or such - and the appropriate supplies list will probably filter out the 'ladies' from the 'girls' and you'll get to see who really wants to learn this craft/art/skill.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:52 AM

If they just want to hand quilt why not a whole cloth quilt. I had no idea what I was doing when I joined a group and it was individual enough that I didn't learn much either.