Thread: Quilting group
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2015, 05:52 AM
schoolteacher

Default Quilting group

There are some community ladies that are wanting to form a quilting group. Out of 20, there are only 2 of us that do a quilt from start to finish. The others range from non sewing (don't even know how to thread a machine) to sewing a few garments but not any quilting. Their plan is to make a simple 9-patch quilt and hand quilt it. Now all this is fine and dandy, but the non sewers expect the two that can quilt to sew all the blocks and put it together. So question:
1. Would it be more beneficial to those non sewers to start at the beginning and learn the basics? Start with a simple pattern with a simple table runner/topper instead of a queen sized bedspread?
2. Is it "fair" for the two sewers to do all the work for all the others?
This is the first time I have been involved with a group sewing project. And it's not that I am above working with these gals, but it seems to me if you want to learn to quilt, you start at the beginning. The have NO idea the amount of work that quilting entails. Helpful hints would be appreciated. If my thoughts are wrong, please be gentle. Thanks.