Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone have a Brother 1034D Serger? >

Does anyone have a Brother 1034D Serger?

Does anyone have a Brother 1034D Serger?

Old 03-09-2015, 10:42 AM
mac

Question Does anyone have a Brother 1034D Serger?

I was looking at the Brother 1034D serger and was wondering if anyone else had one and if they liked it. Since it appears to be in my price range (about $200) I was thinking of buying one. Looking at reviews, several people mentioned that it is very loud when sewing, so much so, that someone suggested using ear plugs and I wasn't sure if they were kidding or not. Someone gave me their serger but it is so hard to thread that I gave up on using it, so basically I am still a novice.

If you have one is it?:

easy to use
easy to thread
does it do a nice edging for napkins
do you need to buy any other accessories that isn't included with the machine
are you satisfied with it for most serging projects
really loud when serging

Thank you, in advance, for your opinion.
mac
Old 03-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Power Poster

I bought a serger over two decades ago and never use it for quilting because the serge edge is so thick.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:05 PM

I have the latest serger that Brother has and its wonderful. I use it for everything, from clothing, decrotive table runners, kids purses, clothing and quilting. It will come with a few feet at least. I think its one of the air thread ones so yes, it'll be easy to thread. You tube has lots of videos on it.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 PM

For easier threading tie your new threads on and pull them through, I always do this and all you have to thread is the needle......
Old 03-09-2015, 02:31 PM

Default I jusr bought mine

I have had mine for about a month now. I read and watched everything I could about this serger. I am currently taking the beginning serger class on Craftsy. One thing I learned is to only use the handle to pick it up. There is a video about fixing the noise, something about the belt. I do not have trouble threading machine, however, just I used a plastic dental floss threaddr to thread the loopdrs, worked great!
Old 03-09-2015, 02:34 PM

Default I just bought mine

I have had mine for about a month now. I read and watched everything I could about this serger. I am currently taking the beginning serger class on Craftsy. One thing I learned is to only use the handle to pick it up. There is a video about fixing the noise, something about the belt. I do not have trouble threading machine, however, just last night I used a plastic dental floss threader to thread the loopers, worked great!
Old 03-09-2015, 03:02 PM

I have it. Bought it last year and have used it a lot. It's a little loud, but then, I never had a serger or knew of anyone who did, so I had no expectations going into it. I don't think it's THAT loud, but compared to a sewing machine it is.

Love it! I got it for about $200 also. Glad I did.

I use it to edge things, make nice seams in clothes and repairing clothes. I didn't have to buy any additional attachments or anything. I just opened the box and started using it. It makes decent stitches.

Last edited by SusanErler; 03-09-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 AM
mac

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. I decided to purchase it and I can't wait for it to come. This year maybe it won't take me so long to make Christmas tree napkins. Yeah!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Here's a video on how to thread the serger since apparently the original instructions are a bit confusing. It looks like it threads about the same as my 35 year old Kenmore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ohtf7H_gyc
Old 03-16-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mac View Post
I was looking at the Brother 1034D serger and was wondering if anyone else had one and if they liked it. Since it appears to be in my price range (about $200) I was thinking of buying one. Looking at reviews, several people mentioned that it is very loud when sewing, so much so, that someone suggested using ear plugs and I wasn't sure if they were kidding or not. Someone gave me their serger but it is so hard to thread that I gave up on using it, so basically I am still a novice.

If you have one is it?:

easy to use
easy to thread
does it do a nice edging for napkins
do you need to buy any other accessories that isn't included with the machine
are you satisfied with it for most serging projects
really loud when serging

Thank you, in advance, for your opinion.
mac
I don't have a Brother serger but my Kenmore serger is loud. It is what it is, but it is nice to have when I want to finish an edge fast. It is very fast.