pfaff varimatic 6085

Old 03-20-2015, 08:19 AM

Default pfaff varimatic 6085

I was given this machine recently and it seems to be "stiff"-not frozen but still not quite right. The manual did not come with it and the one I found online is not real clear. The only spot it says to oil is the bobbin yet I feel it needs something more. Any suggestions on how I can clean/oil myself or is this a job for a pro?
Old 03-20-2015, 10:09 AM

Have you checked the feed dog and bobbin areas to make sure they're free of lint and thread? Have you opened up any part of the machine to see if anything might be blocking such as thread that has accidentally been wound around a moving part? If the manual says there's only a single spot to oil, I wouldn't oil any other area. These more modern machines are full of plastic and nylon and these parts sometimes don't respond well to oil.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:21 PM

Yes I know many of the newer machines don't require oil(only 2 of my machines do) I was asking because this machine has set unused for so long I thought I might have to have a pro lube something inside. It's a very clean machine, the first thing I did was check the bobbin area. Not a speck of lint. The lady that owned it took very good care of it. Sadly the she is in a nursing home now but her DD wanted it to have a good home and thought of me.
I oiled the bobbin race and will let it set till tomorrow and try it out.
Thanks for your response.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:04 PM

All machines need oil on their internal shafts, and take-up areas. The newer machines aren't made very consumer friendly, when it comes to oiling them, so the manuals tell you not to. But you should still take them in for a regular service, or they will freeze-up. When they go in for a regular service, we open the service panels and remove the old, gummed-up oil, and apply new oil. Some machines are easier to get into than others. It's possible that there's a cracked gear, but more likely, it's just froze-up with old oil -- which happens when a machine sits unused for a long time.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:44 AM

Will this help?

I have the 6091, and yes, that is all it says to oil is by the bobbin. This machine always seemed finicky with temperature change (even just 10 or 15 degrees), and certainly benefited from regular shop maintenance.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:30 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. It does seem to be working better now that I oiled the bobbin area. I did some test stitching today and it sews quite nice. Never thought about letting it warm up before I started to play around with it. I will have it checked out by a repairman also.
I don't mind tinkering but I hate to start taking things apart if it's not necessary.