Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams >

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Old 03-21-2015, 04:59 PM

Question Sewing straight 1/4 inch seams

Hi there! I am very new to quilting and sewing...just took a beginners class in October and loved it. I have done a few projects since, such as table runners and small wall hangings, but I am continually frustrated by my lines. When I sew two pieces of fabric together (the most basic thing), it seems like one end of the seam is a little wider than the other. I have tried using the needle plate guide or the 1/4" foot for guidance but neither works. I am so frustrated because it really throws things off and makes some lines look curved. Any hints, tips or tricks would be so very appreciated!
Thank you!
~Christine
Old 03-21-2015, 05:02 PM

Don't look at the needle. Just look where you are going. Keep it up. It will come as you practice. Don't get discouraged.

Last edited by barny; 03-21-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:08 PM

Use a stiletto to hold down the last edge as you come to it so your fabric stays straight. A lot of it is just practice too == the more you do it the better you are.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:19 PM

I've been quilting for a while and struggled with the skinny to fat to skinny 1/4'"seam. Recently I had an "AHA" moment. The sewing machine I use most of the time, has a "slow, medium, & fast speed". I love sewing fast but wasn't accurate. I decided to try the "medium". Wow! What a difference. I only watch the inside of my foot, never the needle.

I, also, did one other thing. I use a see through foot, that has plastic on the center and have moved my needle so that running the fabric under the right (harp) side edge of the foot, as I am sitting looking at the machine, produces a consistent 1/4" seam. It is the most accurate I have ever been.
Old 03-21-2015, 05:22 PM

Is it the last edge that's wider? I've had that problem. I think it's because it's harder to see once the fabric disappears under the foot. I use a short plastic stick, as Nammie to 7 has suggested, and compensate by turning in a tiny bit. You can do it!

hugs,
charlotte
Old 03-21-2015, 05:34 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I have used this technique for years and ALL my seams are straight and speedy to sew.

Jan in VA
Attached Thumbnails easy-quarter-inch-seam-allowance-trick.gif  
Old 03-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

I also use a stilleto - a long pin or needle will also work - to hold that last inch or two together and quide it under the needle. It really does help.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:42 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I also use a stilleto - a long pin or needle will also work - to hold that last inch or two together and quide it under the needle. It really does help.
Absolutely true, Bearisgray, and, though I always do this, i forget to add that little tip to the graphic. Glad yoiu mentioned it!

Jan in VA
Old 03-21-2015, 08:48 PM

This happens to me, too. I think it's a natural reflex - as the end of stitching approaches, my hand gets 'shy' about the needle and my guidance of the fabric disappears. I also had to stop looking at the needle, and actually watch how I was guiding the thread in relation to the edge of the presser foot. After all, the needle only goes up and down; it's the fabric that tends to move around.

I also discovered that, for me, the 1/4" foot without the guide blade allows me to really see where to guide the fabric. Seams are much straighter now. My sister uses the 1/4" foot with the guide blade, and likes that much better than the one I use. Everyone is different.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:17 AM

I sew straighter when I chain piece (putting the next pieces of fabric to sew right after the one you're sewing, so that when you get to the end of one set, you go right to the next - if I haven't explained this well, google "chain piecing" for better explanations and pictures). It also saves a surprising amount of time.

I know it's discouraging, but sewing straight and accurately takes a lot of practice, like learning to play an instrument or paint or <insert skilled task here>. If you don't find it too tedious you can sew along the edge of some fabric a little, working on accuracy, or you can just make things, redo the worst seams, accept that it's not going to be your best work but that you will get better!